cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

International

CG
Fledgling

Hello,

I am currently in Italy, arrived yesterday. Last week, I upgraded my contract with 3 to make sure to have access to roaming abroad. However, when I arrived, my phone did not connect to any local provider (data roaming is on). I cannot use the phone as I should and I must call my car rental company because of a damage I made (driving in difficult weather conditions). Is there anything I can do from here to sort this out?

4 REPLIES 4
sc1999
Local celebrity

3's latest contracts no longer offer free roaming. I do not know enough about roaming to offer advice but if you can connect to wifi you should be able to access your My3 and have a chat with customer services.

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @CG,

We'll do our best to help. There's a couple of things you can try from your end. Data Roaming in the phone settings enables Internet access while abroad, but it doesn't need to be switched on to pick up a signal or make/receive calls and texts.

If you're able to access My3 as suggested by @sc1999, you should be able to check if roaming is enabled on your account, and also check if a spend limit may be preventing the £2 Go Roam charge from triggering.

Depending on your phone, you may also find a setting called "carrier" or "network selection" which is usually on automatic. Sometimes when roaming it can help to change this to manual, this will find all local providers and let you select a specific network to connect to, if there seems to be an issue on the default one.

I'll also send you a private message to direct you to some colleagues that can hopefully help further in case this is an issue on your account rather than with the phone or local coverage. To view your private messages click on your avatar image in the top right of any community page, then "Messages".

Thanks,
Jonathan

Three Community is celebrating our 2nd Birthday with a prize draw! join in here

CG
Fledgling

Hi Jonathan,

thank you, I can’t seem to see your private message anywhere. I wonder if it’s a device issue, cause I can switch to a local provider but the phone does not connect. 

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hey @CG,

That's really odd, it's definitely showing in my sent box? Just in case this helps a bit more, here's an image of where to click:

PC Browser:

JonathanB_0-1680776034231.png

Mobile browser:

JonathanB_1-1680776093102.png

When you click on your profile image/avatar, then "Messages" it should take you to the message inbox.

Thanks,
JonathanB

Three Community is celebrating our 2nd Birthday with a prize draw! join in here