cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone taken out in store

Jennifer_92
Fledgling

In December someone went into a 3 store and took out a phone contract in my name using my address, but with a different account number and sort code. 3 have since said it was me that went into store but can’t provide me with the store I apparently went into to purchase said phone! On the date of the purchase I was working. 

I’ve been in contact with 3 twice, once on the 31st December to make them aware of this fraudulent activity to which they didn’t investigate properly and just marked it as completed, with no communication with myself. I’ve since spoken with Equifax as this is now showing on my credit file, but they spoke with 3 and they have said the information is correct. Which it is not!

So I called them up again today to file a complaint and for them to do further investigation. To which they said that the original investigation went on the fact the phone was taken out in store so they take it the customer knows what they are getting themselves into. I asked if they took any ID to verify that the person is who they say they are? They said they do, but then back tracked and said we require an e-signature. This to me is horrifying! To think that a simple e-signature can be classed as verification is shocking! Due diligence has not been done to protect customers.

I haven’t received any further letters or information regarding this other than one saying a direct debit has been set up.

The agent on the phone has since said that they will investigate it further, but I need to provide a lot of personal (sensitive) information via email to 

customer protection proofs @ three . co . uk

has anyone ever had to send information to this email? as I’m scared to send anything due to how much information is required.

Is there no way I could come into store to provide this information?

I have 4 months left on my contract but after the 4 months I will be switching providers! 3 have lost all my faith!

I called in October regarding a phone I have had since 2016 that I wanted the sim unlocking but they required proof of purchase of the phone before they would do it! Which I don’t have as it was 8 years ago! Yet someone can go into store, pretend to be me and take out a phone costing in the region of £1000 with no proof of ID? It’s shocking and I will be reporting this to the financial ombudsman! As I believe there has been some data breach!

If anyone is able to help me with this that would be greatly appreciated! 

2 REPLIES 2
Rose182
Fledgling

Have you had any luck resolving this yet ? 

which store was the phone taken out in ? 

I’m honestly baffled that this was able to happen in store 😩
The systems scan ID and the credit check links up the name on the bank account with the address so it all matches. 
unless someone has a really really convincing fake/cloned ID of you and has opened a bank account in your name too, maybe ?

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Jennifer_92,

I'm sorry that you didn't receive a reply to this post at the time. We haven't seen you back on the Three Community in the meantime. Just to confirm the Customer Protection Proofs email is one we may use if we need further evidence or discussion to support a fraud investigation.

We hope that the team was able to resolve this to your satisfaction in the meantime, but please let us know how this went, and if you still need any help relating to this.

Thanks,
Jonathan

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.