cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stolen Phone - Google Play/Tiktok Coin Charges

LauraJade1995
Fledgling

My pay monthly phone was unfortunately stolen on the evening of the 3rd of March. The next day, I did all the usual things you would do in this scenario. However, it came to light a month later when I came to pay my phone bill, that the thief had purchased numerous Tiktok Coins, via Google Play, totalling around £110. I have never purchased anything via Google Play nor have I ever purchased Tiktok Coins. Upon speaking to Three on this, they are unable to assist with this as this is a 'third party' charge. At this point I have done everything I can possibly could do, I even had to change my mobile number.

I thought after this, that would be the last of it. However, despite securing my accounts, cancelling cards, the lot, I have received another charge this month, which suggests this has been sent on some sort of 're-occurring' charge.

I just need to ensure this doesn't happen again, can you please offer any advice on this?

12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Such a pain in the wotsit isn’t it. Three are quite right but that doesn’t help. If it were me I’d report it to action fraud (and possibly the police if only to get a crime number). If all else fails and you have explored every possible option and still draw a blank you can get Three to give you a new number. That’ll stop it once and for all. I realise that’s a drastic step but keep it in reserve as a fallback.

First port of call though is action fraud.

Good luck.

andreicr
Fledgling

Action fraud said to contact the financial ombudsman and ofgem..

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @LauraJade1995,

I'm so sorry to hear this, having your phone stolen is bad enough without being defrauded on top of this. I'm sorry that I can't amend your bills, but happy to try and give some more advice. Apologies if this repeats any steps, but I can only give general advice on the Community, so I don't know what has already been discussed other than what you've shared on the post.

If you check your itemised bill on My3, usually Three Pay charges will have a customer services number for the third party listed alongside the transaction. Hopefully if you explain the situation they'll consider a refund back to your Three number, and at the very least stop any recurring subscription.

Generally the change of mobile number should have stopped a recurring charge regardless, but bear in mind that your bill covers the 30/31 days before it was produced, and the due date isn't immediate, depending on your contract we take payment 10 or 19 days later. So it's also worth checking that itemised section of your bill to find out when Google Play actually charged you. Due to the delay between the transaction with Google, and the actual bill payment this may have just lagged onto a 2nd bill.

I hope this helps,
Jonathan

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

andreicr
Fledgling

I am in the same situation here, charged for the second month for £130. Three is refusing to provide a "correlationID" which is required by Google to log a complaint. I have moved now to pay-as-you-go to another provider in the hope that Three will stop charging me. I am also looking into legal ways to complain against Three as it is unacceptable as this can't be stopped even after the theft was reported, sim blocked/replaced and all

ashtonbb
Fledgling

Hi Laura, this happening to me. My phone was stolen in london. And ive done the exact same thing you have done. But again this month they are somehow still buying coins through my mobile number. did you manage to stop it?

and did you get any money back?

rky
Regular

Sad to hear all this.

Three pay is default active service? Can it not be default deactivated and the customers who actually wants can activate it by calling customer care and passing security questions?

Also does three pay by passes spend cap?

PeteyP
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Three Pay isn't impacted by the Spend Cap as those are active purchases, not usage. The credit limit can instead be used to limit or stop Three Pay charges. 

Pete.

rky
Regular

Okay

is this default active or inactive service?

andreicr
Fledgling

three pay is default active, with no limit and no way of disabling it