cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4g to 5g

ALI1
Fledgling

Called to upgrade my contract from 4g to 5g this morning but told there would be a fee of £284 to come out of my 4g contract. This seems ridiculous that you cannot upgrade and start a new 24 month contract when I would be paying 3 20 a month instead of 14. I get there is a fee if you want to leave in contract but I am willing to start a new 24 month contract on 5g. Am I missing something here ????

5 REPLIES 5
sc1999
Local celebrity

You posted this with a home broadband label so are you trying to upgrade your home broadband? If you are could part, or all, of the cost be for a 5g router? If your current contract includes 5g buy a secondhand router on eBay.

ALI1
Fledgling

Hi thanks for the message.

I should have put I have 4g mobile broadband not home broadband. 

All I want to do is recontact having 5g instead of 4g but I am not getting anywhere with the 3 customer service line. They are just saying I need to pay a massive fee to do this.

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi ALI1,

Welcome to the Three Community.

We're only currently supplying 5G broadband home routers, not MiFi devices at the moment. Just to check was it a portable device you were after?

As @sc1999 suggested, 5G is included on any Three plan, so assuming you source a compatible device, and have coverage, you can take advantage of 5G speeds without necessarily upgrading.

Hope this helps,
JonathanB

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

ALI1
Fledgling

Hi Jonathan 

I am on the 4g home broadband package for £14 a month for 24 months. So without sounding stupid are you suggesting if I go and purchase a 5g router I should be able to use the sim card from the 4g router I currently have in the 5g router. I have checked my postcode and I can now get 5g in my area.

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi Ali,

No worries, I wouldn't say it's a stupid question at all. I can totally appreciate a little bit of caution and research before purchasing a new device.

We don't place any restrictions on our side, so unlocked 5G routers should work with your current SIM. You may wish to consult the manufacturer of the router too, but the only issue I've ever seen with this is if the router was locked to a different network provider. So I would be careful to check for this before buying, especially if you purchase 2nd hand. 

Thanks,
JonathanB

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.