cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4g v 5g

Mikeca
Fledgling

If I buy a 4g Broadband router package and 5g becomes available in my area can i change to 5g without additional costs.

I am on the very edge of 5g in my area and know work is in hand to add more coverage but 3 wont sell me the 5g package

• 5G
6 REPLIES 6
techbloke
Active

Are you trying to buy the home broadband product?

Same rules apply as if you were trying to buy fixed broadband from a fixed provider, it won't let you order what they can't provide.

I'd imagine you can probably upgrade during the contract but I don't know what costs would be involved.

sc1999
Local celebrity

If I remember from a previous post all 3 sims are 5g at no extra cost. The issue being if you sign up for 4g will the router they send you be 5g compatible. I am not sure as 3 sell both 4g and 5g routers depending on you contract.

Anvil_Iron
Rising star

The ordering page starts off by asking for the property details and does a check to see if it's worthy of their broadband. The check result falls basically into three categories, No coverage (you can't have a router, look elsewhere), 4G (only 4G capable) and 5G (4G & 5G capable).

I would go for a 4G Home broadband monthly rolling contract so it can be terminated at short notice when 5G comes to your area. This also gives you the chance to evaluate if it's the right service for you.

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Mikeca,

As @sc1999 mentioned all our plans do include 5G access at no extra cost. You've a couple of options, you may wish to discuss with our sales teams if they can set you up on a 1 month rolling contract, so that you don't have an early upgrade fee, or you could take a data SIM only and look into sourcing a 5G router yourself.

Currently we only supply 5G Broadband routers in areas where we've got live 5G signal and we've tested to confirm that the services is up to scratch.

You can also register your interest in 5G, so that we contact you when this is available.

Thanks,
JonathanB

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

ffxmadman
Fledgling

I tried contacting them before and I had the 4G 24 month contract. If somehow 5G is available, I was told  to cancel my contract and reapply for the 5G. As the three connection has been poor, they offer me free cancellation anytime I want. I don’t expect 5G to be anywhere rolled during my lifetime on how slow three is in fixing 

Dazzar
Established

I’m in the fringes of 5g and online I could not get one either so I called them and they sent one as I said well I will get a better 4g anyway, but then they fitted a closer antenna so I was ok anyway , bit phone them and ask for one .