cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5G slow speeds

Pottydrill
Fledgling

What speeds are you getting on 5G, I started as a new customer this week with 500+ Mbps download, its dropped off to 100Mbps?

Spoke to Three technical support and they have said there are issues in the area that are being sorted, I dont know wether or not to believe anything they tell me after the multiple technical issues they have been unable to assist me with setting up my new router and Eero devices 🙄

• 5G
5 REPLIES 5
Geluk
Key player

Check 3's NETWORK COVERAGE page for your postcode.

Mario121
Fledgling

Hi - I'm thinking of fitting the eero mesh system to my Three 5G router...which eero version did you instal and what issues did you find...is it working ok now?

Regards

Mattyk66
Active

I have posted multiple times about this and Three are refusing to admit they are throttling connections yet multiple users have posted on the community site about this and stating they can not only hit 120mbps download when they used to hit much higher, these are different people in different parts of the country, being impacted exactly the same.  My response I posted was this -

Hi All, just to say I am in exactly the position. I live right next to the 5G mast in my area, literally 30meters away. When I first went with three 5G broadband in October 2022, up until November 2023, I was hitting anything from 600 to 900mbps download, all the time, even peak hours, I still have all the results recorded on my ookla speed test app/account.

In November, disney plus stopped loading on my TV stating I was out of region, nothing I did/changed could get it to load so contacted three, who advised they had made some changes to my account and restart my router and try again. Sure enough disney loaded, but from that point on my download speed is stuck at 120mbps, won't go any higher. It jumps to 400mbps when the speed test starts and then quickly drops down to 120mbps and stays there, clearly they are throttling and limiting the download speed. 

I contacted them on multiple occasions over the next few months and they were giving me all sorts of excuses and said they had changed settings and to try again, and another said they were working in the area but it would be back to normal in a month. I speed test every week and nothing has changed, stuck on 120. I have had a month refunded and a month half price but all this time they are still claiming they do not limit the download speeds which is obviously absolute rubbish.

As someone else has mentioned, when I do a speedtest on my phone, and I'm also with three, I still hit the usual 500mbps, nothing has changed with my phone, just my broadband from November onwards. 

At the time I googled and couldn't find any posts on this so thought it was just an issue in my area, but after a speed test earlier, stuck on my 120, I googled and found this. Now I know this is happening to others I am going to contact them again and keep up the fight!

For those that want to leave three, due to the speed decreases, who are stuck in contract, they agreed with me that I could leave with no charges due to the change in service. When you first sign up, you get 30days no quibble trial to see how it works and what speeds you get and you can send back if you not happy. So, if the speeds you are getting now, do not match the ones when you first got it, you can argue this and say you want to leave without a charge!

A further update to this - I made three send me out a brand new replacement router, so I could rule out that being an issue. I have a new router, new sim card, and nothing changed. exactly the same stuck at 120mbps. You can clearly see in the screenshot below of my speed tests, the moment they made the changes at their end on the 14/11/23, and from this point on my speed has been throttled to 120mbps. I have also added a screenshot of speed tests from Feb 2023, compared to speed tests from Feb 2024 and the differences are striking. My speed used to vary, as non throttled speeds should between 400mbps up to 900mbps depending on the time of day as you would expect. Now, my download speeds have no variation at all, 7pm on Saturday evening at peak times, 120mpbs, 3am on a Sunday at the quietest time, 120mbps. 

I would like someone from Three to respond and admit that they are throttling speeds on the home broadband now.

Mattyk66_0-1708302734095.jpeg

Mattyk66_1-1708302734100.jpeg

Mattyk66_2-1708302734100.jpeg

2weary
Fledgling

I've had exactly the same issue, so it definitely isn't just you

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @2weary,

We identified an issue with some customers hitting a 120 Mbps limit thanks to posts from @Mattyk66 and some other community customers. This should now be fixed, although you may need to reboot your router so that it updates.

If you think there's any limits applying to your connection, please let me know.

Thanks,
Jonathan

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.