cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5g at home?

david
Regular

Has anybody switched to 5g as their main home broadband provider?

I'm happy enough with my service now from one of the big three but I feel like 5g would be always on and more reliable, is it?

6 REPLIES 6
sc1999
Local celebrity

5g like BT would always be on until something breaks, the system crashes or someone burns down the 5g tower. 

Sawkat
Fledgling

Not yet but I m expecting to do it soon

NewbieHere
Active

Hi, I’ve just done a Speedtest and am getting 346Mbps down & 10Mbps on an iPhone 12 Pro from my three 5G broadband. There is good 5G coverage in my area & I find the 5G router consistent & reliable.

That said I suspect that if you can get Fibre to the Premises (FTTP) it should be very stable indeed & the speeds you get are likely to be very consistent.

The really great thing about the 5G Broadband is that it is portable & you can take & use it anywhere there’s a decent signal. 

dksglen
Active

I’m on three home broadband. The 4G version actually, as 5G isn’t here yet. Been using for around a year. 
multiple phones, sky q / Netflix and various Amazon devices. 

Absolutely no issues. 😀

WCAT-15
Active

I have just done this. Good 5G coverage (even in cupboard under the stairs). Typically download 250Mbs, though it goes down to 80Mbs at times. WiFi coverage is excellent all over the house.
BUT..... Several times a day the hub cannot connect to the 5G, so there is no internet!!!!  After 5 or 10 minutes it comes back on.  This is a problem reported by many users, and has been reported months ago. It seems to only happen with the ZTE MC801 hub, and a recent(ish) firmware upgrade. There are many posts about this here on this forum:  eg see Related Content.

I am putting up with this because I expect Three will provide a fix sometime soon....  and otherwise the broadband is excellent and good value. 

5gNoBroadband
Fledgling

I've had 5g for around 12 months. The first 10 were perfect, with anywhere between 150 and 350Mbps download. Unfortunately, we have had 2 full days of no service, with no warning or explanation. The first time it went down I reverted back to our copper VodaFone broadband. It took me over a week before I realised I hadn't swapped back. I think that says something. I can't see me renewing the 5g broadband as the copper connection is more reliable. Also, 5g has poor and inconsistent ping, so its rubbish for on-line gaming.