cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5g latency

Goober
Regular

I have a problem with latency in the evenings on 5g Home broadband, the ping is around 140ms and pages can hang when web browsing. While streaming sports the picture starts off very pixelated but becomes steady after a while, however, it does drop off and again later and becomes pixelated. The speed ranges anywhere from 20-120Mbps download and the upload can end up faster in the end than the download. I don't have the issue in the day (apart from the weekends) which may indicate congestion on the network at peak times. The house is 300 meters from the 5g and 4g masts and I have direct line of site to the mast with the tops visible. I have manually changed the connection on the ZTE router to connect to 4g+ only in the evening and the connection is pretty stable with latency around 40-50ms even at peak times. Sorry for the long explanation but the question is if I have a 5g contract, is it acceptable to manually change the connection over to 4g+ at peak times and use the 5g connection off peak, does this break any contract. 

Best solution
Best solution
StephR
Employee
Employee

Hey Goober, 

Manually changing your connection between 4G and 5G is something you're welcome to do, don't worry. The only difference between our 4G and 5G Home Broadband contracts is the router (and of course, the availability of 5G in the area). I'm sorry you're having to take those steps though, that latency must be rather annoying.

If you have a quick check of your postcode in our network status checker, is their any mention of ongoing works or congestion there?

StephR

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query. 

View solution in conversation

4 REPLIES 4
Best solution
StephR
Employee
Employee

Hey Goober, 

Manually changing your connection between 4G and 5G is something you're welcome to do, don't worry. The only difference between our 4G and 5G Home Broadband contracts is the router (and of course, the availability of 5G in the area). I'm sorry you're having to take those steps though, that latency must be rather annoying.

If you have a quick check of your postcode in our network status checker, is their any mention of ongoing works or congestion there?

StephR

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query. 

Goober
Regular

Hi StephR,

Thanks for the response, there is ongoing work in the area at the minute. I've spoken to technical support and been informed there is a known issue that requires the network to add more capacity for peak times usage which would explain the high latency. Hopefully manually changing I can find the lower latency until the work has been completed. 

thank you

Threlly
Involved

Did your speed and latency recover?
Mine is a fraction of what it once was and Three are lying about service issues.

clarkec321
Fledgling

I highly doubt it

Three claim to be adding backhaul capacity but there network is insufficient f