cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot connect to Work VPN

Graygeez
Fledgling

I switched to Three 5G home Broadband a year ago (very fast), I still have another year on my 24-month contract. I have been unable to connect to work via the VPN. I contacted Three Tech Help who did several tests (last July), and they concluded that since my broadband was working the problem was with my work VPN. I can connect my laptop from PRET via VPN, but not home. I have tried all the (Ipv 4 vs 6) suggested remedies on the site. I hope the next year goes quicker. Luckily my employer has been patient with me and has set up a PC that I can remote into (much slower). Three - I will be leaving when my contract expires and announcing to World my reasons.

11 REPLIES 11
PeteG
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Since the router works normally in other scenarios, it's unlikely to be a fault on your router. It's more likely that there's a configuration issue of some kind. 

It's unclear if that's an issue in general for those devices, or if it's something that was reconfigure on your unit. It might be worth trying a complete factory reset of the hub to see if that makes a difference.

Pete. 

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

DanH
Regular

@PeteG  Hi, the MC888 router has been reboot and reset many times. I can now do side-by-side testing MC888 and NR5103E both on factory settings, with changes made limited to forcing IPv4. There is some intrinsic difference that means the NR5103E works with my employer's VPN and web proxies but the MC888 does not. When using the MC888 router on my employers VPN, the internal proxy server cannot be reached.

This conclusive evidence means my own personal investigation is closed and I have terminated the Three agreement associated with the MC888.

I hope sharing my past experience helps some other Three customers who have found they can work from home on a mobile phone personal hotspot using the Three broadband SIM (configured to use APN 3internet) but not on their Three supplied router. There might be some as yet unidentified limitation in the MC888 router for certain home working use-cases. Good luck everyone