cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Coverage map shows 5g available in area but home broadband is not

regger
Fledgling

The Three Coverage Checker (https://www.three.co.uk/Discover/Network/Coverage#/) shows that 4g and 5g is available indoors in my area. When I apply for Home Broadband (https://www.three.co.uk/shop/broadband/coverage-checker) it says home broadband cannot be offered.

Three support/sales says I can use 5g on a sim only deal but I cannot get Home Broadband and cannot explain why.

Any ideas why this is the case? 🤔

If there is a lack of routers or such then I will wait, otherwise I'll go to Vodafone.

Best solution
Best solution
JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hey @regger,

We do some additional checks on the Home Broadband shop pages. As well as coverage, the system checks out additional network traffic factors, such as the number of existing customers in the area, any ongoing mast upgrades, and if we're seeing any signs of congestion or the network being at capacity.

If you're seeing this message in an area that has live 5G signal, it likely means we currently have as many broadband users as we can confidently support in the area, or we may still be benchmarking the 5G masts to ensure they can support the expected demand. The best advice we can give is to check back periodically, we're investing heavily in expanding 5G coverage and capacity so hopefully we'll be able to offer Home Broadband to you locally soon.

Thanks,
JonathanB

Three Community is celebrating our 2nd Birthday with a prize draw! join in here

View solution in conversation

5 REPLIES 5
3Gcouk
Active

Hi

I am no expert at answering your question but have some knowledge.

Three will have more data on the level of 5G signal in your exact location than can be seen on the coverage checker. There intent is to make sure if you get a 5G Hub it works well for you. So although it shows a 5G signal indoors it may be lower than you need for the 5G Hub to work properly, especially when connecting other devices to it.

Hope that helps.

Best solution
JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hey @regger,

We do some additional checks on the Home Broadband shop pages. As well as coverage, the system checks out additional network traffic factors, such as the number of existing customers in the area, any ongoing mast upgrades, and if we're seeing any signs of congestion or the network being at capacity.

If you're seeing this message in an area that has live 5G signal, it likely means we currently have as many broadband users as we can confidently support in the area, or we may still be benchmarking the 5G masts to ensure they can support the expected demand. The best advice we can give is to check back periodically, we're investing heavily in expanding 5G coverage and capacity so hopefully we'll be able to offer Home Broadband to you locally soon.

Thanks,
JonathanB

Croomo
Fledgling

Does this mean that I could order a 5G box to another address and then move it to my current address? Would the box work in the area? I have 5G signal in my area but I can’t order a 5G box to my area. Just wondering if I ordered it to another address and then moved the box to my actual address, the box would still work? 

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Croomo,

Great question. There's no requirement to use the router at the billing address. However you may run into issues with the credit and payment info checks that happen during the sale if the 2nd address isn't yours.

If we're not currently supplying 5G Broadband in an area, it may mean that we are still setting up and benchmarking the service in the area, or may need to upgrade the capacity of the local masts. I'd recommend to wait and check your postcode on our website periodically.

Thanks,
Jonathan

doc1964
Active

I had this same issue, strong mobile 5g signal but online checker wouldn't even offer me 5g home broadband, only showed 4g offers.

Went in to one of the stores and to try it out and fit the 4g on month to month contract. Store then told me i could not get 4g month to month so have me the 5g deal.

The home set up was ready and i am getting up to 600 meg download and 100 meg upload on 5g.

Problem now is that i want to take 2 year deal but need the zyxel router as it handles 64 devices rather than the ms801a only handling 32 and i currently have 49 bulbs, speakers, plugs etc.

Can't order it online and store is telling me that the zyxel is for business contracts only. Almost comical that i can't get them to take my money.