cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feature Request for NR5103E Firmware: add DDNS management

gianpaolom
Fledgling

I would like to set up Dynamic DNS for remote management or to reach a server running inside my network from outside, using a third party service like NoIP

The admin web interface does not have any section about it, however logging in to the router via SSH, it seems it is possible to set it up as there are commands about it, for example

admin@192.168.10.1's password: 
ZySH> cfg ddns get
Enable                    0
ServiceProvider           
HostName                  
UserName                  
Password                  
Wildcard                  0
Offline                   0

User Authentication Result :     
Last Updated Time :              
Current Dynamic IP :             
Command Successful.

there is also a cfg ddns edit command but is is not really easy to figure out what syntax & input it expects.
Could you add a section in the web interface to manage this, or provide some documentation on how to perform the config via SSH & CLI?

GP

6 REPLIES 6
Anvil_Iron
Rising star

Hi, I found a Zyxel 5101 router manual online which appears to have an identical web config interface to the 5103E and it looks like there is a DDNS option within the DNS page but this appears to have been removed for the Three firmware.

I have also been looking for SSH command syntax/manual online but found very little. I guess it's something the service providers don't want people to go down and just stick with the web configurator.

Putty.JPG

In SSH, there are a number of DDNS providers already provided and noip is one of them. I haven't tried if it works so good luck to you.

gianpaolom
Fledgling

Hi,
I had a look and found a PDF for that model too. I really do not understand what is the point with Three removing that configuration section from the admin GUI.

Re the CLI, neither I had much luck in finding any documentation.
However, if you type a after typing a command there is some sort of inline help which expands showing what the next expected parameter would be. Surely does not replace a proper documentation, however I managed to get to a working command for noip:

cfg ddns edit --ServiceProvider noip --HostName <hostname> --UserName <username> --Password <password> --Enable 1

That works. Checking on NoIP side it looks like it gets updated every 24h at 0.20 BST
No apparent way to configure the refresh rate.
I tried a reboot to get a new public IP lease but that does not apparently trigger the update and checking from the CLI, the parameter config is still there after the reboot, however it shows that the Authentication Result is in a failed status.

So, a bit buggy I'd say.
I hope that some Three technician reads this and consider to do a fix

ajay_falcon
Fledgling

Hi gianpaolom,

I am trying to configure DDNS. How did you ssh into the router? I get a timeout when I try.

ssh admin@192.168.1.1
ssh: connect to host 192.168.1.1 port 22: Operation timed out

cheers.

Ajay

bigkahuna
Regular

Remote ManagementRemote ManagementMake sure you've enabled SSH access on your LAN/WLAN.    I've used the same approach to get access to CLI and I've now added noip as my DDNS.    I've also enabled HTTPS on the WAN so that I can manage the router remotely. 

bigkahuna
Regular

I'd also like to add you have to enter the switches one at a time. You can't use that command all at one.  So  etc:

cfg ddns edit --ServiceProvider noip --HostName <hostname>
cfg ddns edit --ServiceProvider noip --UserName <username>

I was able to add DDNS for noIP in this way. 

Thanks for the info. 

usernamefor3
Regular

Hi everyone, has anyone managed to successfully get the userdefined DDNS working on this router? Trying to get it working with DuckDNS.

In the past I got noip working using this syntax:

cfg ddns edit --ServiceProvider noip --HostName <hostname> --UserName <username> --Password <password> --Enable 1

Setting the ServiceProvider to "userdefined" and sending a ? to get the next accepted command seems to work well resulting in this:

cfg ddns edit --ServiceProvider userdefined --ConnectionType HTTPS --UpdateURL <Update URL>

however sending a ? here results in the SSH session being closed. Completing the command here is accepted but it doesn't seem to work.

Using cfg ddns get shows that previous HostName, UserName and Password entries are still populated as well. Additional, there doesn't even seem to be a way to set the Enable flag when setting the ServiceProvider as userdefined, I have to first enable it with a different ServiceProvider than change it.

Not the biggest issue ever but just frustrating that it seems like it should be possible if there was actual documentation.