cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If 4G contract and 5G becomes available will I be able to upgrade for free

rowemg
Fledgling

I have just received my 4G home hub and speeds are not great but liveable with.

My question is if 5G becomes available in my area will I be able to switch to it without having to pay up the remainder of my 4G contract?

I need to know so I can decide if I should go to EE instead as more expensive but 5G available where I am now.

TIA

Best solution
Best solution
doc1964
Active

Hopefully you get an official reply but i was in same boat and was told that this could not be done. You would have to honour your 4g contract. I was lucky that when i asked about this in store and then opted to take 4g on a month to month contract I was advised that in store they could not do the 4g router month to month so gave me the 5g router and despite the coverage checker not showing me as being able to get 5g i get fantastic download speed with it. Only bummer is that as coverage checker does not show 5g as being available at my address, i am unable to change to a 2 year 5g contract.

View solution in conversation

5 REPLIES 5
Best solution
doc1964
Active

Hopefully you get an official reply but i was in same boat and was told that this could not be done. You would have to honour your 4g contract. I was lucky that when i asked about this in store and then opted to take 4g on a month to month contract I was advised that in store they could not do the 4g router month to month so gave me the 5g router and despite the coverage checker not showing me as being able to get 5g i get fantastic download speed with it. Only bummer is that as coverage checker does not show 5g as being available at my address, i am unable to change to a 2 year 5g contract.

Avondale
Rising star

@rowemg 

Can I suggest that you make your decision on the situation now rather than what might or might not happen in the future ? 

Whether or not Three 5G might become available in your area is something of an unknown. I would recommend that you don't base a decision on it. 

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @rowemg,

I'm sorry we can't guarantee that will be possible. You can register your interest in 5G here though. You could take a MiFi on a rolling plan, or a SIM only and source your own router potentially?

All Broadband deals have a 30 day return window as we know there's a lot to consider and you want to be confident with the product before tying into 12/24 months. Also just to confirm, although it's a 4G Broadband plan, that describes the router capabilities. All Three SIMs are 5G these days, so you can always source your own hardware if preferred.

Thanks,
Jonathan

Three Community is celebrating our 2nd Birthday with a prize draw! join in here

rowemg
Fledgling

Thanks. I am looking at routers but not cheap. May wait for now as sent back my 4g router as speeds were too low for my needs.

Would like to try the 5g router but don't get the option online as says not available in my area. My existing Sim on Lebara says no 5g but I get great speeds if I test using my phone.  

Avondale
Rising star

@rowemg 

The Netgear Nighthawk M6 Pro 5G is a fabulous bit of kit.

Netgear are advertising their sale for this Saturday. It might be worth checking their website.