cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent security errors

JohnCPW
Fledgling

Using Three mobile broadband, From time to time some sites such as YouGov give me an SSL error instead of the requested page.  Once I get one of these, retrying the request never works but if I connect to a different ISP (e.g. by conecting my laptop to my phone's WiFi hotspot instead of Three) I can simply retry and continue exactly where I left off (in this case a YouGov survey).  This indicates the problem must be somewhere in Three's infrastructure.  I have had these issues with Three's 4G broadband service over many months and having just upgraded to the 5G service it still happens.  It happens with all the browsers I have tried on my laptop (Chrome, Firefox, Edge) and also with the android browser in my phone when I use it with Three broadband WiFi (but never using the phone's 4g which is not from Three.)

Has anyone else experienced this kind of issue?  If so did Three manage to fix it or even give you the impression they understood there was a problem?

Thanks

John W

5 REPLIES 5
JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @JohnCPW,

Welcome to the Three Community.

This does sound really frustrating. I'm not familiar with this issue, but will be happy to flag it up. Are you able to share the full error message and/or a screenshot?

Just to understand a bit better, is it an issue connecting to particular websites as a whole, or does it seem to randomly crop up on particular webpages? Does the issue persist if you navigate back to an affected page at a later stage, or does it seem to be an intermittent?

Thanks,
JonathanB

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

sw
Fledgling

I get the same problem. For example right now I get ERR_SSL_PROTOCOL_ERROR trying to access https://archive.org when connected via Three mobile data in the UK. Same on tethered laptop and on phone, across different browsers. Like John I have had this with certain websites (but via Three only) for the last few years.

sw
Fledgling

I reckon this is related to the adult content filter that is enabled by default. I turned it off (in Three account) and can now access all the previously-failing sites I tried.

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @sw

Can you let me know, does this seem to match what community members on this thread are describing? It sounds like the error messages you've been seeing are similar?

Thanks,
Jonathan

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

bikerchicfromma
Fledgling

I keep getting an error message when trying to use my three mifi,  SSL  is not valid and three is unsafe.