cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is 5G really that much better than 4G?

mongoose
Regular

Is 5G really that much better than 4G for broadband? It promises a hugely increased bandwidth, but since I've never got more than about 10% of the claimed data rate for 4G on my mobile, I'm somewhat dubious about the whether 5G is really worth investing in, or whether it's another opportunity for mobile companies to try to convince everyone to move despite the current technology being okay for the majority of people.

8 REPLIES 8
HashK
Fledgling

I differ because I think it would definitely bring some change and improvement in 5G bandwidth. As we have more Internet connected devices at home, it would make the whole Internet experience smoother if we connect many devices at the same time compared to 4G. I hope it helps you to understand why 5G would be better than 4G.

sc1999
Local celebrity

I cannot get 5g at home but 4g ranges from 30 to 80m on 3 and 2 to 110 from ee. EE was so unreliable that I moved to 3. However  in Asda Hereford's car park I get 300+ on  3's 5g. If I could get that at home on a truly unlimited deal I would consider dumping BT and tethering my PC.

LeeT
Employee
Employee

Within my local city, 4G averages 50mbps, whereas when I'm lucky enough to be in a 5G area, I'm hitting speeds of 250-350mbps and it's very stable with low ping. 

Gives me confidence for the future and some further competition for Home Broadband.

DanC
Employee
Employee

5G has totally changed my home experience. Where I live I was unable to get fibre so a mobile solution was the only option I had 

Was using a 4G router for a while which did a great job but once 5G was available it was an easy decision to make switching.

I get around 300Mbps at home right now but have seen in some areas that uses the full 100Mhz spectrum get over 1Gbps.

lauren
Fledgling

What do others think? Is it too early to tell.

hutchison3guk1
Regular

definitely, when it works that is.

hutchison3guk
Fledgling

Three 5G broadband works fine for me. Very fast download speeds & a 5G router that delivers much better wifi than my previous Virgin Media router,

My observations with Three 5G broadband is that a decent 5G signal is a must, without  that you would be wasting your time & secondly there can be a very slight lag sometimes with 5G mobile signal but this would only possibly be a problem for online gaming which i am not.

With Three broadband a fourteen day cancellation period is given if their broadband does not work for you. On the whole Three 5G broadband works fine for me & is far superior to Virgin Media cable broadband at a third of the cost.

DaBigM
Fledgling

I work more or less 100% remote, and I have a couple of 5G devices that allow me to move around and still be able to work. For me, a 5G router is as close to a "normal" at home style internet experience. I have Virgin media at home but throughout 2020-2021 it suffered from a lot of issues crippling my work. So I decided to get the Huawei CPE Pro 2 and set that up for two ISPs at home.  Since then, I have only ever been offline once and it was when I had a sustained powercut of several hours. 

I get around about 800mbit on three 5G. I haven't seen any of the other networks anywhere I live or regularly travel to match that or even get close to it to be honest.