cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Help: No 5G Connectivity with Three Home Broadband

sin18r5x
Regular

Hi everyone,

I recently subscribed to Three Home 5G Broadband, but I'm not getting the promised 5G connectivity. Despite spending an hour on the phone with support and receiving a new SIM card, the issue remains unresolved. When I contacted support again, they claimed they were upgrading the 5G in my area, but I'm skeptical since my Three network-compatible phone receives 5G just fine. I have a direct line of sight to a phone mast located approximately 300 yards away. Any advice or similar experiences from fellow users would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Best solution
Best solution
sin18r5x
Regular

Update on this.

I lost my patience with support. One guy asked me to download an android app so that I can change the settings on the router. I told them to send me another router or I cancel my contract.

The new router arrived today, connected to 5g with

DOWNLOAD Mbps
UPLOAD Mbps

Moral of the story. If you have this problem don't waste your time with Three support, they are worse than useless. There is clearly a bad batch of routers going around that Three are resending to unsuspecting customers, hoping that people who don't know any better will just accept the low speeds. 
Make them send you a new router. Especially if it looks like the router was a used item, like mine was.

View solution in conversation

23 REPLIES 23
SP70
Active

I assume you was provided the Zyxel NR5103E. Is it running on firmware b12? Have you checked the router cellular stats page what CELL ID and Bands is your NR5103E connecting to?

Spud
Involved

Is it the firmware or the actual router? I know a few months ago a batch of NR5013Es wouldn't connect to 5G and had to be replaced, i.e. not a firmware problem.

Back in January my son ordered a 4G package and received a NR5013E which performed great falling back to 4G. I assumed it was a duff 5G one, we'll find out if we ever get 5G out here.

SP70
Active

It could be the router from a batch that wont connect to 5G. It can help knowing if the aforementioned is running on the latest firmware which I suspect it is.

sin18r5x
Regular

That's interesting because I think the router was a returned item. 

Spud
Involved

You say you have a Three-compatible phone that connects to 5G fine. Just to confirm, if you put your router's SIM in the phone it connects 5G? Also, if your phone has a Three SIM then you can try that in the router.

Cellmapper - the "map" link from their home page starts in the Atlantic Ocean, so scroll out, move to the UK and scroll in!

sin18r5x
Regular

Hi guys thanks for the responses.

Cell ID 12734216
Physical Cell ID 158
Band B20,B32,B3,B1
Preferred Access Technology NR5G-SA/NR5G-NSA/4G (Auto Switch)

sin18r5x
Regular

Hi guys thanks for the responses.

That is the correct model and firmware

Cell ID 12734216
Physical Cell ID 158
Band B20,B32,B3,B1
Preferred Access Technology NR5G-SA/NR5G-NSA/4G (Auto Switch)

Anvil_Iron
Rising star

The bands you provided indicates the cell serving you only provides B1(3G) and B3, B20 & B32 (4G) and therefore you won't get 5G until it's available.

It's possible that Three are prioritising 5G to phones rather than broadband due to the lack of capacity in your area.

What speeds are you getting with 4G?

SP70
Active

If you log into the router admin panel, go onto the cellular stats page. Have a look at what CELL ID and Bands is your NR5103E connecting to. If your familiar with cellmapper, check the cell ID with mast your connected to. You can see what other bands it provides. The NR5103E supports band locking via the router admin portal. Try locking against N78 (5G) or N77(5G) with some specific band combinations to see if there is any improvement.