Our new roaming giveaway is live find out more here!
Give us your feedback about how easy you've found getting ready to roam on the above linked article, and you'll be in with the chance to win one of 10, 7 day Go Roam passes to use in Europe and Around the World destinations. Prize draw open till 01 May 2024
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie Data Usage Qustion

Wyvern2
Fledgling

I have a 1GB Lite SIMO 24M Contract for my Pixel 4a phone which has 4G. My current Broadband Contract is with Virgin Media which provides a fast FTTC/coax 150 Mbps connection with bundled services.

To date, my phone data usage has been minimal as I always use my home WiFi network connection.

Although excellent, the Virgin Contract is rather expensive, so I thought that I would explore using a 4G mobile solution to see if that would be a suitable alternative.

I decided to carry out some 4G speed tests using the Ookla Speedtest and Meteor Apps. These were carried out a couple of days ago. Unfortunately, the results were not very encouraging, particularly between 9-10 am, when I assume the local Three tower was throttling the service.

However, I received a big surprise when Three sent me a data-warning text. It seems that I had used virtually all my 1GB allowance in one day! Only five events were logged with approximate data usages (in MB) : 383, 328, 98,164, 4. The last three results were roughly five minutes apart. Do short speed-tests consume vast amounts of data?

I noticed that all the usage reports were via a GPRS connection. Isn't this the older slow fall-back method? Why wasn't 4G used?

I have decided to replace my Virgin Hub 3 Router with a more modern TP-Link 4G LTE Router. I will configure the Virgin router as a cable-modem.

As part of the update, I would like to carry out some further 4G speed-tests with the TP-Link unit. I have purchased a Three 12GB 12M Mobile Broadband SIM. Is this the correct device to use? I don't want my allowance to run-out as quickly as before...

Any suggestions/explanations that you can offer a Newbie would be much appreciated!

1 REPLY 1
Spud
Involved

I've been with Three almost two years on unlimited data with a 4G router contract and looking at my bills, use 200-300GB per month. Yes, speed tests can use vast amounts of data. Last month I bought a 5G router and did a load of speed tests finding the best location with various band-locking combos, and used around 100GB of data extra getting 500-750Mbps speeds!!

My daughter has been on a 4G router for some months. She has a Three 12 month unlimited calls/sms/data contract which works out at £11.59 after automatic cashback (via moneysavingexpert). 12GB of data wouldn't get either of us very far.

Lastly, you can get a secondhand ex-Three Sercomm 4G router for £35 on eBay. I have one, great speeds.