cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router?

Jax
Active

I started a two-year 3 subscription and received a: MCA 801A router on Monday last (28th December) and have experienced decent enough quality while the router remains connected to the network, but have discovered that this router is in fact now obsolete since Sept/Oct and replaced with: ZYXEL NR5103E , which is the one I was expecting to be provided with as featured on the 3 storefront and in the app. Surely this is sharp practice by 3. Do I have a good reason to return the router and end the contract?

Best solution
Best solution
Jax
Active

...and I've now completely ignored given advice to site close to a window or even on a window sill and have discovered a central location in my home which gives me (so far) unbroken 5G network at top download speeds. Not pleased that the ZTELink app doesn't work, but hey ho, you can't have everything.

View solution in conversation

9 REPLIES 9
sc1999
Local celebrity

I would not be surprised if there are some weasel words in the contract that allows the substitution of the router. The question is: does it matter to you? If your broadband service is what you want and expected then don't worry and enjoy the service. When you leave 3 you will probably have to return the hub so it's eBay value does not matter.

Jax
Active

I was assuming that the current Hub would improve my broadband's stability. Also, I don't like being fannied off with obsolete gear.

I was assuming that the current Hub would improve my broadband's stability, but mostly I object to being fannied off with obsolete gear. I have time to end the deal, so will see how it goes over the next week or so.

Jax
Active

Whoops! Double entry

StephR
Employee
Employee

Hey @Jax, thanks for joining us here at Three Community.

The ZTE MCA801A router isn't obsolete, don't worry. It's a great product, and as I've mentioned in another reply, you can use the ZTELink app to manage the settings.

We're not currently selling or upgrading to the Zyxel router, while we work to perfect it's performance with our network. I'm really glad you're getting a good quality connection with your current router, but please do let us know if you run into any issues and we'll do all we can to help you with that.

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query. 

Jax
Active

Actually StephR I'm encouraged by its performance these last few days. And thanks so much for that app info

StephR
Employee
Employee

Ah that's so great to hear, @Jax 🙌 And no worries at all, hope it's proving useful.

Thanks so much for updating us on how things are going - if you feel like your original post now has a solution, you can use that 'accept as solution' button to highlight that.

Thanks for being part of Three Community!

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query. 

Jax
Active

StephR

I wouldn't go so far as to say that my original post has a solution because when I said I was encouraged by its performance I meant that it was only disconnecting from the 5G network once per day instead of two or three times. I can only wait for an improved signal in my area because when at its best the performance of the router is sensational, but at its worst really frustrating.

Jax
Active

I now realize that poor weather conditions cause 5G network disconnections. Had I known this previously I would not have switched to 5G home broadband.

Best solution
Jax
Active

...and I've now completely ignored given advice to site close to a window or even on a window sill and have discovered a central location in my home which gives me (so far) unbroken 5G network at top download speeds. Not pleased that the ZTELink app doesn't work, but hey ho, you can't have everything.