cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed Drop

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have Three Home Broadband using a branded 3 router (5G). For the last 6 months, speeds averaged 450mb - constantly - no matter what time of day or night.

For the past two weeks, speeds don't get above 190mb. Whilst the speeds are still good, does anyone know what might have caused the speed to drop so significantly?

Best solution
Best solution
sc1999
Local celebrity

Could be a problem with the tower, too many people registering on the tower, 3 have reduced the bandwidth due to a problem. The list goes on.

Check 3's network status checker and chat with the social media team. 

View solution in conversation

5 REPLIES 5
Best solution
sc1999
Local celebrity

Could be a problem with the tower, too many people registering on the tower, 3 have reduced the bandwidth due to a problem. The list goes on.

Check 3's network status checker and chat with the social media team. 

tigan
Regular

I have similar problem, for a year been around 250-500 download. Now lucky to hit 100. Funny thing is 4g+ download is pretty much the same speed.

One thing i have noticed is the Ookla speedtest has "multi or single" connection, when i used to run it single was a lot slower than multi, now its exacly the same.

Another thing ive noticed on the Router, the "CA STATUS" is "No CA"

Im assuming its been turned off somewhere, hence the drop in speed?

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @tigan,

CA is Carrier Aggregation if I'm not mistaken. This means that your connection is only using one band rather than several. 5G Broadband does currently require a supporting mixture of 4G and  5G bands, so I think you may be correct and it's only using 4G+ at the moment.

Have you been in touch with the broadband teams about this issue? If so what did they advise?

Thanks,
Jonathan

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

tigan
Regular

Hi @JonathanB

Got in touch with them, was put through to their "techy guy", went through everything imaginable with settings on the router, disconnecting other things using the wifi etc.

I even mentioned about the CA being not "working", and he asked another guy and neither had heard of the term or settings.

Im still getting 50-80 now - get more on EE 4G on my phone.

There seems to be too many "similar" issues of people having it for so long before the a*se falls out of the connection.

Just testing right now

5G =  74 / 18  and  4g+ = 79 /12 

Somethings not right.

tigan
Regular

Just another thought...

when i first received the router, it asked for a 12 character log-in to there router settings page.

After i did a "reset" on the router i set the password up with only a 9 character log-in. So im assuming the firmware has been changed somewhere along the line (as i couldnt set up the 9 char log-in when i first received it)

This gets me thinking the log-in requirements have changed (therefore the firmware might have changed this)

Maybe other settings have been changed on this firmware update.

Was just a thought, having read about problems after firmware updates. (its currently B15)

Thanks