cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Square WPS button light colours on Zyxel NR5103E

Limera
Active

Hi All,

As far as I know, for as long as i've had the Zyxel NR5103E, the square WPS button on the front of the device has always had a green light framing it.  What colour is yours showing and what do the colours represent?  This past few days i've seen it red and as I write it is yellow.  Has a minor patch changed something?  This week i've had some issues with my connection in general, barely holding onto weak 5g and often dipping out to 4g which isn't it's usual behavior but I don't know if that is relevant to this WPS button frame colour.  I've never so much as set up a device using WPS so it's nothing i've done with WPS settings.

Best solution
Best solution
JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hey @Limera,

Sorry for the delay getting back to you. I've sent you a PM now to get you in touch with some colleagues that ought to be able to help.

To view your private messages on the community, click on your avatar image in the top right of any community page, then "Messages".

Thanks,
Jonathan

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

View solution in conversation

13 REPLIES 13
Limera
Active

Hello again.  Can anyone just confirm if the square light on the front of their NR5103E Green square light todayGreen square light today(not the symbols/lights on the top) changes colour for any reasons?  Nothing in the manual about it being able to change colour or what it represents.  This is the coloured frame around the WPS button (which I never use).  Mine is back to green today.

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Limera,

Yeah that light should just be green from what I've read. It may blink fast if data is being sent or received, and if you were to make a WPS connection it'll blink slowly for a little while as it establishes the connection.

Has this issue been coming back intermittently or has it stayed green since you last posted?

Thanks,
Jonathan

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

Limera
Active

I just checked now as I read your Email and it so happens it is red.  I don't know whether it is related but i've noticed that there are no icons visible on the top of the device right now.  The signal strength, 5G indicator, even power is all just unlit whilst the WPS frame is red.20231013_150635.jpg

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Yeah this does seem really odd behaviour, are you still having issues with the connection too? I'll be happy to get you in touch with someone that can look into swapping the router if you like?

Limera
Active

Hello @JonathanB, yes the connection issues are ongoing (though I realise the nature of such mobile connections, weather conditions and local mast issues can all play a part) and the issues began around the same time as I noticed the red WPS button frame.  I still get a connection to the internet, but the reduced speeds along with this unusual red light and the fact that none of the lights/icons on the top of the router show at all any more does make me wonder if the poor thing might have a bug. 

I have tried a full reset and starting afresh with setting it back up, but it's the same again, so perhaps if you would be so kind as to point me in the right direction then a router swap could be the answer.

Best solution
JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hey @Limera,

Sorry for the delay getting back to you. I've sent you a PM now to get you in touch with some colleagues that ought to be able to help.

To view your private messages on the community, click on your avatar image in the top right of any community page, then "Messages".

Thanks,
Jonathan

Bob
Fledgling

Mines only ever been green. I was under the impression that the WPS is not a secure method of connecting to devices? I am looking to turn it off, can this be done in the router settings?

Also would love to be able to get rid of the bright light too!

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Bob,

To my knowledge it's only insecure, in the sense that someone with access to the router can press the WPS button to connect. 

I've had a look and there might be an option to disable this based on some support info from Zyxel.

In the router settings is there a Network Settings>Wireless>WPS section?

Can you see an enable WPS setting that you can disable there?

Thanks,
Jonathan

Limera
Active

Cheers @Bob, It's still lit red today but I've no idea why.  Regarding WPS (which i'm doubting my red light issue is anything to do with) I never use it myself.  Unsure of any risks or vulnerabilities in using WPS but if any the risks would be contained to any persons in physical contact with your router i'd guess.  With the Zyxel NR5103E you can turn WPS off completely in Network Settings - Wireless - WPS

Have a good evening