Our new roaming giveaway is live find out more here!
Give us your feedback about how easy you've found getting ready to roam on the above linked article, and you'll be in with the chance to win one of 10, 7 day Go Roam passes to use in Europe and Around the World destinations. Prize draw open till 01 May 2024
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The internet becomes unavailable late at night

Aruupaka
Fledgling

I don't know why, but lately my mobile boardband has been slowing down every night after 12pm, with a latency of 200 ping, and download speeds of 10mbps. the internet was fine until 11pm so I'm sure it's not congestion, and it usually happens instantly after a certain time, one game I'm playing fine but the next one I try turning off ipv6 and it improves a little but not much. one game I'm playing fine but the next I'm lagging. I tried turning off ipv6 and it improved a little but not much. I also tried connecting to just 4g which made the state of the network worse.

9 REPLIES 9
FraserC
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Thanks for getting in touch. We're sorry your speeds haven't been so great recently. We understand how frustrating this'll be, and we're keen to get it sorted for you. Have you already checked for any problems via the network status checker on our website? You can view it here https://bit.ly/2ZkY51r. Let us know if you see anything. 

Aruupaka
Fledgling

I checked. Nothing wrong with the area.

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Aruupaka 

That is very odd, do you use Three for your phone too? It may help to narrow down if this is an issue specific to the Broadband/router. Are you able to confirm if the same issue occurs when your Broadband SIM is inserted in a phone, and if possible whether you have the same issues with a Three mobile SIM inserted in the router?

Thanks,
Jonathan

We'd like to hear your feedback! Let us know how easy you find it to get ready to Roam, and be in with a chance to win 7 days of free Roaming Passes – find out more here!

Aruupaka
Fledgling

It behaves the same way on the phone card, my friend is also a Three user and I asked him to bring his router to my house also at the same time the network is bad

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Thanks for confirming this @Aruupaka. It does sound like an issue with the local network if it's affecting multiple SIMs and devices. Possibly a network congestion issue. Have you reported the issue with our Broadband team?

Thanks,
Jonathan

We'd like to hear your feedback! Let us know how easy you find it to get ready to Roam, and be in with a chance to win 7 days of free Roaming Passes – find out more here!

Aruupaka
Fledgling

I think I know why, as soon as I get to midnight my internet changes from 5G to 4G,I think it's because Three stops supplying me with a 5G signal in the middle of the night. This is unacceptable to me as I pay for 24/7 access to 5G and if this continues I will have to switch to a new carrier.

maxp
Fledgling

This must be nothing but an energy saving exercise. As there will be less people using the Three network late at night, some servers are being put to sleep. This obviously lowers Three's electricity bills.

Every single night I watch the light from my broadband box go from blue to green at exactly 1:02 am (although the past few nights it has been around 3:00 am). When my broadband box has a green light, packet data is being lost in transmission, when the box has a blue light, I have no issues.

7:00am on the dot, the light on my box goes from green back to blue. This cannot be a coincidence, it has done this every night since I purchased it in December. I'm surprised Three can get away with this but I suppose that it is a trick of their trade only to maximise their profits, and lowkey all other mobile networks are probably doing the same thing.

I cannot tell you how frustrating this is for someone who works nights. I have considered cancelling numerous times as I am usually better off using the hotspot on my mobile device which doesn't even have 5G (iPhone 11 on O2 network). It seems to work fine in the day, achieving download speeds of 300+ mbps and latencies as low as 25ms, which is the only reason why I have kept it. I highly doubt that Three will even address this, at the end of the day they are a business and will do anything they can get away with to save a few pennies. Most people are uneducated on the way that networks work, this is only to their advantage.

Aruupaka
Fledgling

I agree with you, I've found this too

Aruupaka
Fledgling

I think I know why, as soon as I get to midnight my internet changes from 5G to 4G,I think it's because Three stops supplying me with a 5G signal in the middle of the night. This is unacceptable to me as I pay for 24/7 access to 5G and if this continues I will have to switch to a new carrier.