cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Three 4g Plus Router

Russ1974
Fledgling

Hi guys, trying to get some clarity on a predicament I am in. I live in a semi rural area and traditional fibre broadband sucks so thought I'd try mobile broadband as my three phones get reasonable 4g+ coverage at home with better speeds than my traditional broadband. Anyway three don't actually provide home broadband to my area yet so like a lot of people(or so I've read) I purchased a three 4g plus sercom hub from Amazon so I can try it out. I got the hub today, I put in my three phone SIM(as won't buy a data SIM until I know it gives me decent speeds and stability) but I just get a red light on the internet light and LTE strength! I have a data allowance on my phone SIM so thought from what I've read it should work but just get the red lights. Am I doing something wrong, will my phone SIM not work in the router or is the router faulty? Bought it from Amazon so I can send it back but really wanted it to work as I get 2 to 3 times the speed on three 4gplus on my mobile as opposed to my pathetic fibre broadband. I've tried resetting, tried another three phone SIM, had the router even outside in the garden but still solid red lights on the internet light and LTE strength, any help advice would be appreciated 👍

Best solution
Best solution
Russ1974
Fledgling

Just sorted it can you close topic please mods, thanks

Ps: SIM was in wrong even though I tried it the way it is now before, I also logged into the router page and set it up there if that helps anyone in a similar predicament.

View solution in conversation

2 REPLIES 2
Best solution
Russ1974
Fledgling

Just sorted it can you close topic please mods, thanks

Ps: SIM was in wrong even though I tried it the way it is now before, I also logged into the router page and set it up there if that helps anyone in a similar predicament.

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Russ1974,

Glad to hear you've managed to sort this, and thanks for taking the time to update the community.

Just to confirm on your question about using a phone rather than dedicated data SIM, absolutely no issues with using a phone SIM with Broadband devices. If it were a router that Three don't supply, there might be a bit of trial and error with settings, but most devices do tend to pick all this up automatically.

The only issue I think you may see, is that the default APN for phone SIMs is three.co.uk whereas 3internet is better for Broadband. Mostly this won't have an effect, but certain smart devices, and advanced features like port forwarding won't work.

So it may be worth checking if in the router dashboard you can create a manual APN profile and set this to 3internet, you can generally leave any other fields as default or blank

Thanks,
Jonathan

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.