cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Three is charging me for a returned 5G Hub

kyechoy
Regular

Hello,

I’m wondering if someone went through the same issue as I'm going through right now and if so, how did you deal with it? It's long story so buckle up…

Around more than a year ago, I cancelled my contract with Three 5G Broadband. On the same day I called Three to ask if I needed to send the device back. My first reply was that I didn’t need to, I found that very strange so called again and asked the same question. This person, said I do need to send it back, which made more sense to me. This person proceeds to tell me they would send me a package that would arrive within 5 working days to send the hub back.

Two weeks passed, no package to send the hub back. I called Three again, explained the situation and this person tells me they’re sending the package again. Two weeks passed again, no package. This situation happened 4 times repeatedly. At this point, I’m starting to get frustrated and I call Three to ask if there’s another option, because clearly this isn’t going to work and I do believe it should be in Three’s best interest to have the device back. This person proceeds to schedule a collection with DPD. Shortly after the call, I get an e-mail from DPD confirming the collection. Great, things are finally working out or so I thought.

Next morning, DPD comes and collects the device. Everything proceeds are normal, get e-mail confirmations with the tracking. It says the device was delivered. However, 2 months after, I get a letter from Three. Telling me I need to pay £105 for not returning the 5G hub. I couldn’t believe what I was reading... I called Three as soon as possible. The person tells me it’s just a logistics issue and they’ve made a note in their system that the device has been returned. I pray that the situation is solved but once again, I would be proven wrong...

Another month passes, another letter from Three charging for the 5G hub. I called Three again, I get the same reply. This back and forward has been going on for at least a year now.

I’m tired, exhausted of this whole situation. Every single time, I’m being lied to. To make things worse, now the situation got to the point where now it’s with a debt collector.

I don’t know what to do anymore… I’m going to have to pay for something I don’t have. For something I didn’t do wrong. For something I did my best to solve when it should've been on Three's best interest to solve. Is this my only option out of this?

I would really appreciate any help any pointers in the right direction. I called the debt collector they tell me I have to solve the situation with Three. Calling Three or using the chat doesn’t solve anything as everyone simply lies to me. 

I’m sure posting here won’t do anything as Three has been showing it doesn’t care at all about it’s customers. At least I hope it helps someone else like me from ever doing my mistake which was doing the right thing.

22 REPLIES 22
JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @kyechoy,

Any credit file impact should be removed automatically when a return is accepted, but I'd suggest contacting the advisor I put you in touch with previously too given the circumstances. I expect they've already raised this with our credit teams, but they should be able to confirm this.

Thanks,
Jonathan

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

paulina6786
Active

I’m having similar issues to the original poster. No debt yet but I have been sent a bill inclusive of a fine for not returning the hub. This is despite sending it back promptly, providing evidence, and being assured multiple times I will not be liable to pay the fine. Every time I call I get assurance that I will not pay, yet I currently have a massive bill to pay…

I’ve lodged a second complaint but not sure what else to do. 

treebeard1
Fledgling

I have literally had the same thing happen today. Incompetence to the highest degree and extremely frustrating.

They were even telling me my account could not be found after providing the account number on the email they had sent me that same morning!

paulina6786
Active

I had an identical message today, telling me they couldn’t reach me and that they couldn’t access my account with the information I provided in my complaint.

I seem to be running in circles with them and not sure what’s the best thing to do…

paulina6786
Active

Check your inbox! I’ve shared what has worked for me 🙂

sc1999
Local celebrity

How about sharing with everyone?

paulina6786
Active

I've now shared at the end of this thread. Wasn't sure if I'd be able to share the link I used but it's worth trying! 

kyechoy
Regular

The issue seems to have been resolved. At least I haven't been contacted again and when I asked the debt collector they said they had nothing in their systems. Three however, refused to reply regarding the situation to make sure it's been delt with. So until further notice, the issue seems solved.

My advice to anyone in the same situation, I hope you somehow still have an account in Three after cancelling your contract to make a post in the community forums as that will be your only option to deal with this issue.

Thank you everyone for your help.

paulina6786
Active

Thank you for sharing your experience! I know it’s been a while but I just came across it as I’m experiencing similar issues. I returned the hub but Three want to fine me despite numerous conversations, sending proof of postage, and raising a complaint. They have now told me to cancel my direct debit and pay manually to avoid the fine being taken from my account, “while they check if the hub has been returned” - it’s been nearly 2 months since they received it, according to the delivery note…

paulina6786
Active

@JonathanB would you be able to help, please? I’m at my wits end…

Three saying” Thank you for sharing this with me and since you have given tracking ID we raised a investigation on this and the team has updated that the device is not yet returned however if you wish I can get this raised again for you and the team will get this investigated again.”

So I have proof of device being delivered but Three claim it’s not been received. What can I do?