cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi issue, Ethernet connected stuff fine but wifi not

Marydoherty
Fledgling

I have a broadband hub, it’s for CCTV cameras, a weather station and a Alexa, as well as occasionally a laptop just to pop online. The main CCTV dvr is connected via Ethernet to the router and this has never had a problem. The issue I have is I have some more devices that sit next to the router but are not wired to it. It’s these devices that randomly drop out and they won’t come back online unless I restart the router. So it seems it’s the “broadcast” wifi that’s the issue. Does anyone know if there are any settings I could change or things I could try. The router is literally next to three of these devices so I don’t think it’s a proximity issue. Thank you in advance

2 REPLIES 2
Geluk
Key player

If it's a dual frequency router, ensure the 2 frequencies are separated by giving them unique SSID'S.

D/Load a wifi frequency analyser app; you can then see which channels on the 2 frequencies are heavily

populated; then choose channels that are least populated, rather than allowing the router to auto select.

If still stuck, temporarily turn off wifi security settings; do devices then connect wirelessly?

If so you need to check the security settings on the devices.

Anvil_Iron
Rising star

Hi, Do you know if these devices are capable of connecting at 5GHz or do they only connect at 2.4GHz? If they connect at 2.4GHz it could be a case of the popular channels, 1, 6 & 11 being congested, specially if you live in an area/building where everyone is using Wi-Fi.

I have a Zyxel router and if you can log into the web configurator (192.168.1.1) then at the Home page, click on the > button for Connectivity and it shows which devices are connected to which band. You will need to know which MAC/IP address belongs to which device.