cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New 5G Zyxel Router, no (functional) LAN ports!

smidoid
Fledgling

One of the problems with being a tech is I hate being led by the nose, but I guess that's what we have to do. 

So before anyone tries to help, let me assure you that, yes: I have tried different cables (three) and four different ethernet capable devices.

I see someone else couldn't get their VOIP phone to work and others have had intermitted connections to the LAN. Mine are as dead as dead things and this smacks of a bug in the firmware. I can't be sure and I can't upgrade it because this model isn't supported by Zyxel - it has custom firmware (you know to stop us using alternate DNS servers and the like).

I have a bunch of wired (only) servers which rely on connections from a Gigabit switch fed from... the router. But if the router ports are dud (and they don't even light up to show activity- in software or, tellingly, the hardware to indicate a carrier is being received.

My guess is that Three has fouled up when it recompiled the software (hey, we've all done it) but no one thought to check that functionality when it rolled it out the public.

This is such a shame and I'm sorely tempted to go a buy a "real" Zxyel NR5103 (the one without the E) device and just stick a 3 Sim in there. I assume that's not against the rules since I'm paying for the service. 

That said, if someone at Three could actually test this theory and if I'm right, just flash some *tested* firmware that would be great. As it is, they're just going to send me a new one and that means, again, IF I'm correct, that I'll have to spend another hour going through Computing 101 which does nothing for my blood pressure.

EDIT: I see there are a lot of these on eBay  - which is rather strange since given the fairly high cost (300+) - is surprising. I would imagine Three would have asked for them back. Unfortunately, there's no way to know which are which ... except the ones which are proudly in the box complete with the Three Logo --- DOOP!

5 REPLIES 5
Dazzar
Established

Hi I have problems with the lan ports disconnecting my mesh system is a problem that the panorts are doing this ?

Anvil_Iron
Rising star

Hi, I have a desktop PC directly connected to LAN1 and it works fine on my Zyxel router. LAN2 is also working fine. My guess is that it's a hardware problem rather than firmware (even though lots of functionality have been disabled by Three to the dismay of many users).

A datasheet for the Zyxel FWA510 which is a non-white label version of the NR5103 said the LAN ports are capable of 2.5Mb but I can only get 1Gb speeds. Could be another case of Three's firmware restrictions.

5G NR 4.67 Gbps Indoor Router | AX3600 WiFi 6 Router | Nebula Cloud Management | Share WiFi to 64 de...

Dazzar
Established

Lan ports still dropping out any ideas ? Mesh system keeps stopping due to it 

Anvil_Iron
Rising star

Is this happening with both LAN1 and 2?

Have you tried factory resetting the mesh system? It may have some old configurations relating to your old router.

Dazzar
Established

@Anvil_Iron @Yes both ports