cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ZTE mc888 no 5G on Three

MrB
Regular

I recently bought a ZTE MC888 hub, it’s a ZTE branded device no Three branding. I’m having issues with receiving any 5G with it, it only connects to 4G. In the network information there is no info on any 5G. I have noticed that it also toggles between No CA and CA Inactive. I have tried both three.co.uk and 3internet APNs with the same result. When I insert the sim in the 801a or my phone I get 5G connection with speeds over 500mbs. The firmware is not a three one, and I am wondering if this is the issue or if there is anything else I’m missing. I don’t know if I can download and manually update the firmware as check update does not find new updates. Also the device does not reset when I pressed the button on the bottom or in software. My main issue is no 5G. Has anyone else tried the mc888 and had a different or similar experience to me?

Best solution
Best solution
MrB
Regular

Hi, thank you for your replies. I have tested two of the ZTE MC888 units with no joy so returned them both back. I just bought another refurbished ZTE MC801A, problem solved. 

@JonathanB The old unit, mc801a, started to emit a very strong plastic smell, then it stopped working. Wouldn’t power on at all, it was again a refurb unit. 

View solution in conversation

7 REPLIES 7
sc1999
Local celebrity

Are you in an area that has Three 5g broadband? Just because you get it on your phone does not guarantee 5g broadband. Also, what type of sim and 3 contract do you have?

MrB
Regular

Hello, I am in a 5G area. I had the Zte mc801a that packed up but was giving me download speeds of 300-500mbs and upload is around 40 consistently. I bought the ZTE mc888 to replace it, being a second generation router I though it might work better. I’m on an unlimited sim contract with three

Anvil_Iron
Rising star

Did you get the ZTE MC801A from Three as part of a contract? If so, would they replace it with the same or better model?

stevekn
Involved

No they will not replace the modem with another ( "faulty" ?) modem they require you to take out a new contact.

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @MrB,

If you're using a 5G router that wasn't supplied by Three it may limit how much support we can give. It may be worth contacting ZTE to ask for help with this, it sounds like the tests you've done with your phone and the original 801a do seem to indicate that there's no network issues. 

In terms of APN 3internet is almost always going to be the best one for Broadband, most devices should pick this up by default when using a data only SIM.

Just to check, what's happened with the MC801a when you say "packed up", does it seem to have developed a fault? If so, can you tell us a bit more?

Thanks,
JonathanB

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

Best solution
MrB
Regular

Hi, thank you for your replies. I have tested two of the ZTE MC888 units with no joy so returned them both back. I just bought another refurbished ZTE MC801A, problem solved. 

@JonathanB The old unit, mc801a, started to emit a very strong plastic smell, then it stopped working. Wouldn’t power on at all, it was again a refurb unit. 

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @MrB,

Glad to hear you found a solution, as @Anvil_Iron mentioned, if the faulty MC801A was supplied by us then you should be able to request an exchange too.

Thanks,
JonathanB

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.