cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

that little flashing blue light...

J68R

New customer. Just received my 5G router this afternoon. A4 paper telling me sim is pre-installed. So unpack, place it, plug in - and switch on - and here we go green flashing light.... to solid green, red internet and flashing blue signal light.
Check the instructions,
Flashing Blue Light - no SIM or SIM error.
Great start to proceedings, on to support live chat, told to do this, do that, factory reset, nothing works.
Pushed on to level 2 tech support, more waiting.
Eventually get a response and told to remove the SIM from the router and place it in a mobile device - fitted it into an iphone and it fires up instantly - welcome to three etc etc. so the SIM works just fine. Then told to place the SIM back in the router. Hey presto... flashing blue light - no SIM or SIM error.
Then told to leave it on and that the router will recognise the SIM eventually. 'Trust me it will work' so that's where I'm at, trusting it'll work eventually, somehow.
Expecting a call back tomorrow around the same time from the same person I had on live chat today.
So my (somewhat rhetorical) question is what on Earth does the router do in 24 hours to recognise a SIM that it can't do when first switched on, I'm feeling like I've just been fobbed off and hung out to dry.

1 REPLY 1
J68R

It's fairly obvious to me what the problem is now, the SIM reader slot on these NR5103EV2 routers is utter garbage. I just decided to try reinserting the SIM again because it's obvious after 4 hours the blue flashing light isn't going to stop. Upon trying to reinsert the SIM the reader slot on the base wouldn't even retain the SIM. I removed it and tried again and again, each time it sprang back out. Each time I placed it on a flat surface and made sure the sim was fully seated, snuggly in the adapter. Eventually the reader slot randomly decided to retain the SIM. Of course the flashing blue persists and the SIM reader in the base remains unable to read the perfectly good SIM.

I think I'll just cancel the contract while I still can, it sounds like three offer a dreadful service anyway so back to wired adsl I guess.