cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incorrect phone number showing in settings

SausageFingers
Regular

I've transferred over to Three from O2. I have an Android phone. All went well however when I go into settings and about phone I'm seeing the original phone number that the SIM had before I ported my phone number over from O2. I'm not able to edit the phone number in the settings.

How do I correct this and is there any downside to leaving it as is?

16 REPLIES 16
sc1999
Local celebrity
SausageFingers
Regular

Sorry not a solution unfortunately. As my post said, it's an Android phone and I'm not able to edit the number. The solution you offered is for an iPhone and suggests editting the number. Thanks for suggesting though.

sc1999
Local celebrity

Sorry about that. If I remember correctly when I moved from EE it took a day or two for the phone to show the correct number. I was surprised as I expect technology to be instant.

SausageFingers
Regular

It's been a year since I switched from O2. Texts to and from my number are working ok but the number in the about phone section of the settings for my phone are showing what I believe to be the original number of the SIM before the switch completed. I've read somewhere that this could be an issue with Google Pay if the number in the settings doesn't match my phone number.

Has anyone else had this problem and sorted it by going into a store?

sc1999
Local celebrity

Your post is very interesting and has me trying to find a way to edit the number. I now think that it is not possible to do this and will be the case for anyone who ported a number. I don't think that it will be an issue if you had a new number as that would be the default number in the sim. The only way I can think of sorting the issue is to request a new sim which may be originated with your phone number. We need a volunteer to try this.

If you go into contacts and select yourself you can add your mobile number and set that as the default number. 

SausageFingers
Regular

I received a new SIM when I moved over to Three from O2 and my number was ported over to the new SIM. However the original Three number that was associated with the SIM is what's showing in the settings for my phone. I doubt I'm the only person this has happened to. I googled this and a few people have said they went into the store to have it sorted but they didn't elaborate on what they asked for or how long it took to sort out 

sc1999
Local celebrity

Maybe they got a new sim with only their phone number programmed in or the store has a sim editor. Why not pop into a 3 store?

SausageFingers
Regular

I don't understand what you're saying when you say maybe they got a new SIM with only their number programmed in?

Don't all SIMs from Three come with a number attached to them by default and this is the number that people who don't port anything from another company will use. It seems that as part of the porting process something related to the SIM wasn't updated. Anyway back to what I was thinking 8 or 9 posts ago that I need to go into a store to ask for help. Thanks for your time.

sc1999
Local celebrity

I am not sure if, when you request a new sim, the new sim is blank until it's programmed. Don't tell anyone but I requested a new sim today and we'll see when it arrives if it makes a difference. I did this out of curiosity and it's a question that's been raised a few times.