cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incorrect phone number showing in settings

SausageFingers
Regular

I've transferred over to Three from O2. I have an Android phone. All went well however when I go into settings and about phone I'm seeing the original phone number that the SIM had before I ported my phone number over from O2. I'm not able to edit the phone number in the settings.

How do I correct this and is there any downside to leaving it as is?

16 REPLIES 16
SausageFingers
Regular

Don't worry on my behalf. I don't think you and I are going to get to a solution on this in this forum. I'll try the store. Thank you, goodbye.

sc1999
Local celebrity

If you tell 3 that you have damaged your sim they will send a new one and you phone will show the correct number.

sc1999
Local celebrity

My apologies,  on my current phone I  cannot edit the original sim card number. I know it was correct on my last phone but not on my S21FE.  You used to be able to go into contacts and view your details. It now shows the sim card phone number but it cannot be edited. 

PeteG
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hello, SausageFingers. 

The number reported by the SIM is usually the number that was on the SIM at the point of getting it. When you're in settings, that's what you'll see. It used to be that you could update it, but Android lost this option quite a long time ago. 

I think the reason the number can no longer be updated on Android phones is because the operating system no longer relies on the number reported by the SIM for applications. For example, the messages application on android has it's own phone number entry section where you can tell the app your actual current phone number. 

Most apps use Google Play Services for recognising your number on Android phones now. If you head into the settings on your phone, and down to Google, then hit "Manage your Google Account", then go into the "Personal Info" tab, you'll see an option further down for phone number. If you go into this, you'll see a list of verified phone numbers, and you should either see the temporary number, the new number, or both in the list. If you see both, remove the temporary number. Then ensure the correct number that's left is showing as verified. If you only have 1 number showing in the list, and it's not the right number, open it and amend it so that it is the correct number. Google Play Services will then attempt to verify the number for you. 

This won't change the number showing in settings, but it will ensure that if you're in apps that are using Google Play Services, you can have them auto populate the correct phone number for you when supported. 

Pete. 

gwatt556
Fledgling

I’m having same issue, none of the solutions have worked for me? 

sc1999
Local celebrity

The number you are seeing is the number originally programmed into the sim. The only way I managed to change the number to mine was to request a new sim. I have just changed to a Pixel 8 Pro and there is no option to edit the number. I do not know if there is an option in the developer settings.

Forkincrazy
Fledgling

Has anyone found a solution to this problem. I too have the same issue.