cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone Stolen - IMEI Not Blacklisted!

purplelotus
Fledgling
tl;dr: my phone was stolen 3 weeks ago, but Three has not blacklisted it on the national database despite my repeated attempts, which means my insurer will not replace my device. And Three is not sending me live chat transcripts despite my requests.

My phone was stolen on 25/08/2023 and I would like to make a complaint about how this is being handled by Three.

Immediately after my phone was stolen, I submitted an insurance claim with my insurer. I also tried to contact you via live chat using a borrowed phone. I repeatedly clicked on the button, but it kept saying "Please try later". I was unable to call you (due to my phone being stolen), so I went to your store to report it stolen. Your colleague gave me a new sim and when I asked him if there is anything else I need to do, he said no.

On 29/08/2023, I received an email from my insurance company; they requested TWO different documents:
1) proof of usage;
2) proof of barring.

I then contacted Three via live chat and your colleague said that it would take 48 hours to blacklist my phone and another 72 hours to send me the two documents. He also said I should have contacted the contact centre immediately after my phone was stolen as it's not possible to blacklist in-store. Because of this I submitted a complaint due to the following:

1) your colleague in-store said there was nothing else I needed to do and did not tell me to contact the contact centre to blacklist my phone;
2) your live chat was not working despite my repeated attempts to use it during your opening hours;
3) information on the need to blacklist my phone is not provided on your website.

I spoke to your colleagues repeatedly over the phone (on 29/08/2023, 30/08/2023 and 31/08/2023), and they assured me the blacklisting of my phone would be fast-tracked and I would be sent the documents.

Three finally sent me proof of usage on 03/09/2023, but not proof of barring. I sent the proof of usage to my insurance company; they said on checking my IMEI number in the national database, my phone still had not been blacklisted, so they still cannot process my claim. I contacted Three yet again on live chat and told me I would receive proof of barring within 72 hours.

On 09/09/2023, Three sent me the same proof of usage letter that was sent to me on 03/09/2023, NOT the proof of BARRING letter I requested. Upon contacting Three numerous times via live chat and phone calls on 12/09/2023, 13/09/2023 and 14/09/2023, I was told a bunch of contradictory information:

- that a request for blacklisting had not been made
- that my IMEI has been blacklisted
- that Three colleagues do not have access to the national IMEI database 

Another issue is that when I enter my email address to request live chat transcripts, I do not receive them. I need these transcripts to show my insurer that I am trying to get my phone blacklisted and that Three is saying that it is. I  contacted Three to request transcripts and was repeatedly told I would receive a text with a link to the transcript. However, the text only contains an unfillable PDF data protection request form that says Three will comply with my request within one calendar month, NOT the link to the transcript I requested. I asked the customer service agent multiple times to send me the transcript they said they would send me, but to no avail. 

I have now been without my phone for 3 weeks and my insurance company cannot replace my phone, which has been distressing and traumatising. Having to contact Three and the insurer over and over again for resolve this is causing panic attacks. I am also still paying a monthly phone bill for a phone that has been stolen and has not been replaced due to Three's poor customer service.

The only silver lining is that my contract ends in November, so I will be able to leave this godforsaken network after 15 years of being a loyal Three customer. 

Is there anyone who can help with this?
1 REPLY 1
JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @purplelotus,

I'm really sorry to hear that you've been trying to get this handset blocked for so long now, and that our support teams haven't been able to help so far. I've sent you a PM linking you to an escalated support team that should be able to help.

In terms of the underlying issue with the IMEI not reflecting on the database, we've received a few reports of this and an investigation is underway. This hopefully should be sorted out soon.

Thanks,
Jonathan

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.