cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5G Home broadband Speeds Question

MrSimo98
Active

Hi there, 

I was just wondering if anyone else experiences the same issue as me. I've had 5G broadband for a couple of weeks now the speeds seem to be quite impressive averaging around 700-900mbps download speed, I am lucky enough to be located next to a 5G mast. 

However, despite continuously receiving these speeds throughout the whole day when I choose to download something on my Xbox or PC I'm lucky to be download at 10mbps most of the time? I understand the difference between Megabits and megabits but surely I should be in the 30's / 40's at minimum? I appreciate 5G changes in speed continuously but I can download a 50GB file and the peak wouldn't be no more than 10mbps?

• 5G
4 REPLIES 4
Anvil_Iron
Rising star

Hi, I'm assuming you are getting 700-900 Mbps when you performed a broadband speed test? I get similar from my router, 700/75. It seems your internet connection is fine, so it could be the LAN side that's causing the problem. It could be your PC adapter? How the router Wi-fi is setup. Are you connecting via Wi-fi or cable? Are you running Windows 10?

In Windows, you can perform a simple throughput test by downloading a 2GB movie from Amazon/Netflix and monitor the speed from Task Manager > Performance > Ethernet (IP your PC is using). You will see the average throughput ramp up. I get around 300Mbps average with a simple Cat5 cable and is connected to the router at 1Gbps speed.

Anvil_Iron_1-1681206172777.png

MrSimo98
Active

Hey there, thank you for your response, I think we are in the same boat in terms of set up. I have downloaded a Netflix movie and posted the results. 

I seem to get a great load of speed at the beginning of the download and continuously drops. I am using an ethernet cable similar to yours also, this test was repeated a few times with the same result. (PC Netflix App) 

I'm having trouble uploading the photo of my results. The film was 2GB in size and started swiftly at 500mbps but decreased continuously throughout the download

MrSimo98
Active

ert.png

techbloke
Active

I'd suspect (but have no way of knowing) that there's a bit of traffic management going on here.

This will be being done to ensure that all users get access and that neither the fronthaul (between your device and the antenna panel)  nor backhaul (link between the base and the rest of the network) becomes overloaded (it can happen but such measures are put in place to try to mitigate it)

A file download isn't time critical like a VOIP call, video call or gaming traffic  is so it's priority will be lowered, how much by will depend on the detected load, if things are quiet, you'll likely get faster speed, if it's busy, your download will be slower.

While you could argue that you getting your download done quickly is beneficial to the network, if enough people do the same, things could quickly grind to a halt.