cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5G Hub ZTE MC801 B12 update

5Ghub_house
Active

I have the Three branded ZTE MC801 5G hub router. We have been with Three since July 2022. When we setup the router it was on the B09 update and we had no issues with it and got around 450Mb download speeds. Our 5G signal is around -95dBm. Then on 17th Oct 2022 our router automatically installed the B12 update. After that the router stops working at least once per day, sometimes more than once per day. When it stops working all mobile devices, laptops and the chromecast will display exclamation marks on the WiFi signal logo. If you try to navigate to any website the page will fail to load. If I log onto the router at 192.168.0.1 it all looks OK and small levels of kb are being downloaded/uploaded. The only way to fix is to either go to advanced settings > other > restart. Or walk to the router and unplug from mains power. Upon restarting the router everything is fine again and speedtest shows our usual 450Mb again. I have got so fed up that I have tried doing the factory reset on the router. This seemed to work and we went 4 days without any issue. But it happened again today. I strongly believe it was the B12 update as we didn't have the issue when it was on B09. Wish I didn't leave the default setting for automatic updates now. I have checked three.co.uk coverage page and network and looked up network maintenance and it does say they are fixing an issue in the area. However that has stayed like that for over a week. Just curious if anyone else is having an issue with the B12 update or whether it could be maintenance that is taking weeks to fix? Any thoughts?

• 5G
Best solution
Best solution
5Ghub_house
Active

Since our router got the update BD_UKH3GMC801AV1.0.0B15 i have had no issues. It updated on 2nd March 2023 to B15. I believe this is the solution. If your router hasn't updated to BD_UKH3GMC801AV1.0.0B15 then I suggest calling Three customer care

View solution in conversation

31 REPLIES 31
JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @5Ghub_house,

Welcome to the Three Community. I'm sorry to hear that you've been experiencing these drop outs the last few weeks, this sounds really frustrating.

It sounds a lot like this thread here: 5G Broadband dropouts 

Are you able to confirm that the issues are only affecting the router, for example do you have a Three phone and SIM also that's not affected by the issue? That might help clarify if the network issues are relevant. 

I'm making enquiries about the firmware question based on what I've seen on the other topic I've linked. I'll let you know if I find out anything on that side of things.

JonathanB

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

5Ghub_house
Active

Hi JonathanB, we have two Samsung A32 5G mobiles on Smarty (using Three network) in the same house and we have no issue with 5G coverage in the house. Just to add I have to reboot the router pretty much every single day manually when I get an exclamation mark next to WIFI. I do log when i do this to see if there was any commonality to it. I also factory restored the device and it still happens.

24th oct 15:03
28th oct 13:26
30th oct 22:13
31st oct 13:06
31st oct 20:58
1st nov 12:28
2nd nov 12:47
Factory restore 2nd nov 12:55
6th nov 16:44 unplugged
6th nov 21:10 restart from menu
7th nov 12:38 restart from menu
14th nov 09:56 restart from menu
15th nov 07:57 restart from menu
15th nov 10:15 come back
15th nov 14:15 restarted from menu
15th nov 17:49 restarted from menu
21st nov 14:36 switched off at wall
22nd nov 13:30 switched off at wall
22nd nov 16:22 restarted from menu
25th nov 12:55 restarted from menu
24th nov 15:38 restarted from menu
27th nov 18:14 unplugged at wall
28th nov 11:55 unplugged at wall
28th nov 14:34 restarted from menu
29th nov 11:54 unplugged at wall
29th nov 16:11 restarted from menu
29th nov 19:00 restarted from menu
30th nov can't recall time
1st dec can't recall time
2nd dec 08:29 restarted from menu
9th Dec 19:19 switched at the wall
11th Dec 19:59 restarted from menu
13th Dec 13:30 switched from wall
14th Dec 12:39 restart from menu
16th dec 13:48 restart from menu
19th Dec 18:28 switch at wall
20th Dec 19:13 restart from menu
21st Dec 12:48 restart from menu
22nd Dec 13:11 restart from menu
29th Dec 17:18 restart from menu
1st Jan 19:04 restart from menu
2nd Jan 20:37 restart from menu
3rd jan 13:36 restart from menu

Another point to add. when I go to Three network coverage page and input postcode the message has been the same Since October "

We’re fixing an issue with our network in this area

We’re sorry for any disruption you experience. Our engineers are working on masts nearby, which means the rest of our network is handling more traffic than usual.

Updates on our work will be posted here. We’re working as fast as we can to build a better, stronger network in your area."

This message hasn't changed!

stevekn
Involved

when will the ongoing problem with the B15 ZTE modem dropping internet ( with a good 5G signal ( as reported by modems dashboard and excellent positioning).

I get several drops a day ( very annoying whilst streaming and with longer downloads )

A restart re-established the internet connection (immediately after the re-boot)

The "service" is NOT fit for purpose

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @5Ghub_house,

Quick update on this, there's no known issue with that firmware update, but we're keen to investigate further in case we're missing one. I'll private message you for a bit more info to support the investigation.

JonathanB

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

stevekn
Involved

There is a "known issue" with the ZTE seen by many here, it drops the internet several times a day and works straight after a "restart"

Why cant we try an alternative modem.

I contacted ZTE and they just referred me back to three.

Are you talking to them ?

p1d9m73
Active

@5Ghub_house I have the same router, how do you find out what update version its on? It was around middle of October that all my problems with sky glass started so I'm wondering if my router has had the update too🤔

5Ghub_house
Active

Happened around 17th October onwards and I have to manually reboot my router, or switch it off and on again. Happens pretty much every day, varying times of the day. Annoying.

5Ghub_house
Active

To find out version, go to http://192.168.0.1/index.html the password should be written on the sticker to the router. When you are logged in, under status information click 'detailed information'. The software version is listed there. mine ends with B12.

bethanrex
Regular

Yes I have the same issue. Happening since about October.

I've recently been working with support on this and they called me today to say it should be fixed but its dropped out again today so it's unfortunately not.