cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5G rubbish upload speed

Charles2022
Fledgling

Can anyone explain why the upload speed with a 5G connection is so abysmal? In different locations I typically get 100-600Mbs download speed and 0.5-3Mbs upload speed. If I disable 5G the 4G speed at in the same location is around 60Mbs download and 15-25Mbs upload. I've spoken to 3 support which, unsurprisingly was a complete waste of time, really no idea what I was talking about. 

• 5G
12 REPLIES 12
sc1999
Local celebrity

I have been waiting for this question. I doubt know the answer but the same applies to 4g. I can get 30-40 download but only 1-3 upload. It is not a problem for me as I now rely on my BT fttp but I am curious. 

Charles2022
Fledgling

The reason download is faster than upload is simply because of the way they manage network capacity, they assume people download far much more than they upload, my point was why is 5G so slow?

Kelly4
Fledgling

I understand but don't understand then why the 4G upload is so much faster?

I just got a 5G phone and the download is 300+ and the upload is often less than 1.0!    Upload wasnt' super fast on 4G but it is at least 10x faster .

I was hoping it was jut my SIM being a couple years old but I suppose changing it won't help. 

sc1999
Local celebrity

I think that it is a bandwidth issue. I think 3 are struggling to instal 5g fast enough to keep up with demand. There have been several posts about 5g for phones available but home broadband not being available. JonathanB said in an answer that home broadband may not be available as " it likely means we currently have as many broadband users as we can confidently support in the area". So I think that they may be sacrificing upload to either squeeze a few more users on to the system or to provide those already connected with a stable download. 4g is so bad in HR2 that I have added a Vodafone sim to my phone for data.

gavmoulds
Fledgling

5G is complete rubbish. It has not been constructed to cope with the current demand. Also it has very short range. If there is no mast within 2000 meters of you then it will need a repeater. I have not yet seen ONE single repeater installed. I have switched off 5G and now get a good 4G signal at work. Used to get 5G on vodafone but three is completely unusable.

radiomean
Regular

Interesting question. I have very recently checked speeds in Central Cambridge (not near where I live). Download is 300 to 500 MBits/s (very satisfactory!) but upload is a paltry 10 to 12 MBits/s.

It's very strange - 5G is capable of 100s MBits/s up!...

bathugeo
Regular

I'm guessing but I suspect it is simply a decision by Three. Marketing want to advertise the fastest download speeds and if they gave bandwidth to uploads they would reduce that. 

nbphil
Fledgling

I have a similar problem, uploads were less than 1Mbs. I am now using the Zyxel NR5103 in 4G mode and that's fine for now.

contactpip
Fledgling

Hello how do you disable the 5g on your router please? I need the faster upload speed so thinking I might be better using 4g...