Our new roaming giveaway is live find out more here!
Give us your feedback about how easy you've found getting ready to roam on the above linked article, and you'll be in with the chance to win one of 10, 7 day Go Roam passes to use in Europe and Around the World destinations. Prize draw open till 01 May 2024
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming not working at all

Bren
Fledgling

Hi, 

My roaming never seems to work whenever I leave the UK. I'm on holiday in france now and I'm having to rely on other people's hotspot for connections. But it's never really worked in any other country I've been in either for ages.

I get the sms to tell me that I'm in another country and that it'll take £2 from my account to unlock roaming, and then nothing happens.

The little R appears next to the signal icon at the top but nothing works, data doesnt do anything, cant send texts etc

Data roaming is turned on in device settings, I've played with changing network selection from auto to manual and I've restarted my phone at least 5 times to no avail. 

I'm travelling for work as well next week to Milan so I would like to sort it out for that at least. 

Ta

1 REPLY 1
James150
Fledgling

@Bren I had this exact issue when in Germany a few weeks ago. Roaming enabled, data roaming on, spend cap well above zero, text saying £2 would be taken received, but no ability to use my data.

It turned out to be... my credit limit!! Yes, on Three systems, there is an internal credit limit which is separate from how the spend cap works.

Apparently, it was set to £1, which means that the daily roaming charge could never have been taken.

I would be surprised if this is not your issue. Ring Customer Services, and get them to raise or remove your credit limit and you should be fine.