cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charged for data roaming I didn’t use

Jayne
Fledgling

I recently traveled to Canada, upon arriving I received a text message from 3 saying

“Hi there, it's Three.
Your daily roaming charge is £5.83.This excludes VAT, where it applies.

You've now unlocked your UK allowances in our Go Roam In Around the world Extension destinations for 24 hours at no extra charge - as long as you stick to the fair usage policy for your plan.A surcharge may be applied for any usage above that, and you'll still need to pay for any out-of-allowance charges incurred. For more info about our charges and fair usage policy, please check out our price guide: three.co.uk/priceguide”

I immediately turned off mobile data and for most days did not receive this message apart from a handful of days where I did. I was told by a 3 call centre operative that charges apply even for receiving text messages even with mobile data off, yet the only text messages I received were from 3 themselves (see above)

I contacted 3 customer services to resolve the issue of being charged for days I did not use only to be told this charge could not be removed because I’d previously contested a similar charge in the last year when I’d been charged for data roaming in France while on a day out on the Kent coast! 

Has anyone successfully contested this charge and got immaculate data roaming charges removed? 

2 REPLIES 2
JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Jayne,

I'm sorry to hear that you received inadvertent roaming charges. Which type of phone do you use, is this an iPhone or Android? Just to clarify incoming texts definitely shouldn't trigger the charge, it would be specifically outgoing calls, messaging, or data that does this, so if you have disabled data, and didn't make outgoing calls or texts the billing team would usually look into this further.

Let me know if you still need help with this.

Thanks,
Jonathan

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

Jayne
Fledgling

Hello Jonathan,

thank you for your message, although this has not resolved the issue. 

I have an iPhone. It’s interesting you say that the billing team would be willing to look into this further, this absolutely was NOT my experience when I contacted 3 regarding the error on their part. I was categorically told that as I’d previously challenged similar charges (data roaming in France when I was on the white cliffs of Dover) in the same 12-month period, that 3 would not remotely entertain the prospect of removing these charges from my bill. 
I’d be interested to k ow how one contacts the billing team to escalate this issue.