cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MTU for XBOX live mutliplayer gaming on 5g home broadband

Lexx289
Fledgling

I am struggling to get my Xbox to work on Xbox live. Doing some googling it seems that the MTU is too low, it is 1360 and should be about 1385 to be able to work properly. I have rung three who seem to have no knowledge of what an MTU is and have sent me to the ombudsman. I have logged into the router (H122-373) and increased the MTU manually however it will not pull through onto my XBOX. I have put it in the DMZ, enabled UPNP and generally faffed with it as much as i can but the MTU on the XBOX does not change. I am assuming this is what is being sent from three and so it is something to be changed at three's end...

Does anyone else have any experience of this, or have any issues with XBOX live and home broadband 5g? or can they get it to work, cheers

96 REPLIES 96
hhlondon97
Active

HI Jonathan,

Unfortunately no fix for me, I only have IPV4 as an option and when I changed the MTU value it still tells me on the xbox that the MTU limit isn't high enough. It's odd that its only happening with the Zyxel router specifically.

Thanks,

Hector

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @hhlondon97,

I'm seeing a few users mentioning issues with PS5 connections and I'm wondering if it's a similar issue.

The threadPlayStation network won’t sign in on hub has a potential solution with changing the APN settings. Can you, and anyone else running into these issues, have a look and see if the settings changes listed there have any effect?

I'm still awaiting feedback on this issue but hopefully there'll be news or a solution soon.

Thanks,
JonathanB

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

hhlondon97
Active

Hi Jonathan,

No that hasn't worked either.

Still getting the same error on just the xbox as I had no issues logging in and seems to be a different issue.

Thanks,

hhlondon97
Active
Mikes
Regular

Hi @JonathanB ,

A few weeks back I used the APN fix to be able to again access PSN.

Since Wednesday this week, I haven't been able to access PSN again. I reverted the APN change from three.co.uk back to 3internet, and this has made no difference.

During the last issue, there was something wrong Three's end with upload speeds capping at around 8kbps. My speeds now, while ok at between 60-90mbps Down and 2-9mbps Up, were about 3 times these speeds on average and have only been deteriorating. They should also be fine for me to access PSN, yet I suddenly cannot as of Wednesday this week. To be clearer though, I am able to login to PSN sometimes but I cannot access any network games, like Destiny 2, it won't connect. I also cannot read my PSN messages, yet I can access the PS Store and browse with everything loading incredibly slowly.

I've tethered to my O2 phone to check if it is the system or PSN, but I can access everything fine that way, so it is on Three's end, whatever this new issue is. Please could you suggest settings which might let me again access online play. Also, my Alexa has in parallel become less stable in streaming anything, usually just cutting off partway into a song or failing to initialise it in the first place and yet it will tell me that it is connected to the internet and everything seems fine. Any help?

georget66
Fledgling

i’m having exactly the same problem with this mtu problem especially with fifa , has there been a fix for this yet so frustrating as the internet connection is really strong and fast for me 

hhlondon97
Active

@JonathanB I hope you're well, are you able to provide any further updates on this as it has been a few weeks now since the last one?

KGD1972
Fledgling

Hi Jonathan

My son is getting this problem and can no longer play online games on his XBox Series X. It says the MTU is 1360. The Xbox is wired, so the download speed is 255Mb.

The 5G hub is a ZTE MC801A. Microsoft gave the instructions that other people here have followed. They said if that doesn’t work, a new router would be needed.

Could three supply me with a new router please. The one I have is not fit for purpose and my son is very unhappy.

Thanks.

MrSimo98
Active

Has anyone found a work around for this? My speeds for the Xbox are perfect but I'm having this same MTU issue. Some people are reporting changing the MTU on their router? I couldn't find how to (if that works) but just seems to be a more common issue. 

I've tried using wireless and wired connection and still having the same result. My MTU is also 1360.

hhlondon97
Active

@JonathanB as you can see even more people are now suffering the same issue. Surely it shouldn’t take this long for 3 to fix this issue/provide you an update you can share with us regarding the problem? It’s been quite a few weeks now and other people are now raising the same issue!