cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MTU for XBOX live mutliplayer gaming on 5g home broadband

Lexx289
Fledgling

I am struggling to get my Xbox to work on Xbox live. Doing some googling it seems that the MTU is too low, it is 1360 and should be about 1385 to be able to work properly. I have rung three who seem to have no knowledge of what an MTU is and have sent me to the ombudsman. I have logged into the router (H122-373) and increased the MTU manually however it will not pull through onto my XBOX. I have put it in the DMZ, enabled UPNP and generally faffed with it as much as i can but the MTU on the XBOX does not change. I am assuming this is what is being sent from three and so it is something to be changed at three's end...

Does anyone else have any experience of this, or have any issues with XBOX live and home broadband 5g? or can they get it to work, cheers

103 REPLIES 103
JimmyRobin
Regular

I have not resolved this problem yet, however this is what my research has taught me so far.

MTU is basically packet sizes of data. If a data packet is too large it gets fragmented into smaller packets which can clog the system. The 'standard' router MTU setting is 1500. You'll need to reduced the maximum size of the 'data packet' to stop fragentation which should increase your internet speed.

Please follow this tutorial on how to do it. 

https://youtu.be/RK2PHpKI9M4?si=GY9TYs-tCPVwJneQ

My ZTE router's MTU is now set to 1380 and MSS set to 1340 so fragmentation no longer occurs however Xbox still shows an MTU error (MTU is too low) This can only be addressed by THREE NETWORK. In my opinion, until this happens, Three's 5G broadband is simply unusable for online xbox gaming. 

Basically the MTU on Three's network is too small so fragmentation happens at lower sized data packets than on other networks because their MTU value is higher. Xbox recognises this and throws up the error and online gaming suffers as a result.

JimmyRobin
Regular

To add further and update, I also made sure the NAT was open in the Xbox settings by choosing a different port number (advanced Network Settings)

It’s only been a couple of days now but so far everything seems to be working ok. 🤞

JohnM
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hey @JimmyRobin 

Wanted to check in, is this solution you have found still working?

The default MTU for the network is 1500 but we have found this shows a lower value when there is issues with coverage or congestion on the Network.

Does the network status checker show there is work being done in the area?

John M 

Ccbustion90
Fledgling

I'm having issues with the party chat on Xbox as others have mentioned. Has a solution been found to this issue?

dawiisss
Fledgling

After various posts and searching through everything I found a solution to this. Basically it looks like port forwarding just does not work when you are in IPv4 / IPv6 Mode. What you have to do is setup your port forwarding and do a mac bind for your xbox console so that the local ip won't change and then in your apn settings

Set it to manual

PDP Type to be IPv4 only

Profile name needs to be anything other than 3internet for some reason so just set it as "int" or "internet"

APN: 3internet

Authentication: None

After that your port forwarding should work and your NAT Type should be open.

You should also set a manual port on your xbox and add that to the port forwarding as well.

dawiisss
Fledgling

Also here is proof of this working on ZTE MC801A20231206_124024.jpg

@JohnM There is still an issue where port forwarding does not work if you use both IPv4 and IPv6 which should be addressed

LeonP
Fledgling

Can give a for dummys step by step on this. I have no tech knowledge. 

Ridzzog
Fledgling

Hi, I've been suffering with this issue for a while not until I started reading this thread was I able to find a work around. I now have an open Nat, I'm able to join party's again and my Nat in Call of duty is open. 

First look at your connection details in your advanced settings under network connections on your xbox, take note of your iP address for ipv4 and your wired mac address. Then log into your router using a laptop, pc or by downloading a Web browser for your xbox. Don't use your phone your router will need to disconnect during the process and your phone cannot handle it. 

Once signed in you need to go to advanced settings and click on mac binds. Here you need to set up a static address using the ip address and mac address you took note of before its fairly straightforward once you have the info. Then find your WiFi settings found on the home page, and then click on apn. Here you need to change it from auto to manual, then add a new profile. Select ipv4 from the drop down menu then add a profile name something like xboxnet or int, input '3internet' into the APN field and click apply, you'll be prompted that it needs to disconnect to apply the changes(this is where you don't want to be on your phone doing this) after a min or two it should be successful. Set to default. Make sure you restart your router and xbox once everything is complete and with any luck you'll have an open Nat now

your mtu will still not be right, try not to let it bother you it has no effect on your gaming experience, sucks but no biggy.

Kapkando
Regular

Hi everyone dunno if I'll get a response this is an old thread. But I've just signed up too three 5g home broadband and I'm having this mtu 1360 xbox series x issue had there been any news or a fix I've been looking on the Web for solutions for about a week any reply would be greatful

craig60022
Fledgling

There is no mtu connection with three 4g home service I cam still play online games bur do get some issues I never used to to say they are not aware of this is total rubbish this setting was not an issue untill a couple of months ago