cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone calls not working since fibre has been fitted

Katie
Regular

I’ve had problems at home for months now I can only call people over watsapp if I use normal call option no one can hear me and all of our phones are the same. All 4 of us are with 3 so this can not be a device issue but more to do with the provider or the fibre broadband. We’ve been with three for years but now my upgrade is due I may need to leave as my phone is no use in house it’s so unreliable. So stressful any tips to resolve this issue would be hugely appreciated 

5 REPLIES 5
JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Katie,

Sorry to hear the signal has been letting you down.

Have you been able to check our Network Status Checker to see if we're aware of any issues in your area? Do you have Wi-Fi at home? If so, check if Wi-Fi calling can be enabled on your phone settings, this may help you make or receive calls if the signal isn't good indoors.

Thanks,
Jonathan

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

Katie
Regular

Hi thanks for your reply yes I have checked the network in the area and it is always ok. We have also played with the wifi calling setting to see if this makes it better or worse but whether it is on or not we still experience the same issues. 

PeteG
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

That's odd. The issue you're having seems difficult to pinpoint. 

On one hand, a network issue could explain why multiple devices are having the same issue in the same area. On the hand, WiFi calling completely bypasses the local network and the call traffic goes through your wireless network. 

When you tried WiFi calling, did you put the phone into airplane mode before testing the call? Doing so would force the device off the mobile network and would ensure the traffic is going over WiFi as expected. Then you could test to see if you're still having the issue. 

Pete. 

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

Katie
Regular

Thank you for your reply so I’ve tried turning on aeroplane mode and your right it does work fine on calls then. So would this indicate that it is a mobile network issue. I presumed the wifi would be ok as the only calls I can do in the Josie are via watsapp just frustrating as not everyone has watsapp. Would this mean I need to change mobile providers or is there a solution three could do? Thanks in advance to any replies 

PeteG
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

To confirm, with WiFi calling, the kinds of calls I was talking about were not WhatsApp calls. WiFi calling works by using normal phone calls, and also allows text message to work as well. If you didn't test a normal phone call while in Airplane mode, could you try that? 

If that's what you were referring to already, then yeah it would seem to suggest that there's a network issue of some kind. Strangely, the phones don't seem to be detecting the issue, and are choosing to make the calls over the mobile network even though you have WiFi calling enabled.

I'm not sure what the options would be in relation to that, I suppose one option would be to switch into Airplane mode in order to keep everything working normally while you're there. On the network side, there might be a fault or work taking place that could explain the issues you're having, and perhaps there's a timeframe for that being sorted out. To know for sure, and to explore any other options, you'd need to speak to the Support Team on chat or by calling. 

Pete.