cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming charges whilst data roaming turned off

bcracknell
Fledgling

I was on holiday in the US last month and had data roaming turned off before I even left the UK. At no point did I turn my data roaming on. Three texted me randomly at 3 points during my trip saying hello and welcome to the USA, outlining the costs associated with using my phone whilst in the USA. These texts were not telling me I was using my data, just letting me know I could. I've just received my bill to find I've been charged 3x £5 plus VAT for roaming services whilst in the USA. I can see on my bill that these supposed usages were really tiny amounts of data, <10MB. When I tried to dispute these charges, stating that I had my date roaming turned off the entire time,  I was told there was no way the system could be incorrect. However, clearly, the system is wrong if I can be charged tiny amounts of data usage whilst my data roaming is turned off. Please can you advise what I can do in this situation? 

177 REPLIES 177
Volcs
Fledgling

Same issue here from trip to the US - data off on primary SIM the entire time and eSIM installed for US data. Came back to £20 charges. Contacted them when I got the first SMS and was told not to worry as there was no charge.

HD1983
Active

I was told I have to wait for the bill to be printed and then raise a case. I see this as a fault on their network - doesn't happen with Voda or O2. I received another message today - with a fee for 690 kB data even though the data roaming in the 3 SIM is off and - it's normal data on 3 SIM has also been off prior to departure! Shouldn't Three just have an automatic refund system in place due to this prolific error? 

HD1983
Active

And again - so every time Three text me - they charge me the daily roaming fee for data. Even though my data is turned off since before departing the UK- and data roaming is turned off for the Three SIM too. And every time - the charge is for data. This time 566 KB. Somehow - even with data disabled on the SIM and data roaming deactivated - I'm being charged at the same time every day for a few on of days. An O2 SIM with the same settings - no issue and no transfer of data or charges. This is a Three Network issue.

slbarron23
Regular

When I told them the charges were when the texts were received, they told me I was receiving the texts because I had already ‘used’ the data. Which seems to be true, however they can’t explain how the data is used with everything turned off. They really don’t care. I emailed the CeO office too and nothing. I wonder if telling the Martin Lewis team would be beneficial 

HD1983
Active

Can't they put the amount into query? I'll be calling them over the next few days - and suggesting they provide specific evidence of use

cinone
Fledgling

Very worried...Data off meaning Settings>Mobile Service>Mobile Data set as Off or Data Roaming set to off?

revs
Fledgling

Just had this same thing - Roaming is off, I have an eSIM for data.
0.0009MB for a couple days when I was away, and charged > £4 each day.

HD1983
Active

As its affecting several people using different devices in different locations - it's clearly a Three Network issue. It needs to be sorted 

revs
Fledgling

They closed my case within a few hours and said nothing is wrong. Guess I have to waste everyone's time and open up a complaint.

They say 1KB of data was used. If roaming was on for even a moment, it would use way more than 1KB.

HD1983
Active

If they've closed your case - is that their final response ? Can we then go straight to the ombudsman? Surely compensation will be higher than just the daily charge because if the time they waste over a known issue ?