cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming in Turkey

VM2022
Regular

I am going to holiday in Turkey next month, Would it be cheaper to get a local sim card rather than paying roaming charges?

5 REPLIES 5
ash064
Regular

Good question, and a very valid one given the change in roaming charges, to be honest this change makes everything very complicated. Luckily I have a US T-Mobile sim which allows free roaming globally but it is with shocking speeds 😉 but at least I can get emails, open maps etc.

Mark1991
Regular

I would have thought getting a local SIM card would be better or use WiFi where possible and send messages or communicate this way. 

Mand4393
Regular

I thought I read somewhere that you only have to pay roaming charges if you have renewed your contract since October 2021?  I don't know if that;s right though!

mongoose
Regular

Buying a local SIM is almost always much cheaper than roaming. If you can manage with only using WiFi in your hotel/house, then you may well get away with not bothering, but if you want data in particular, then fairly much any UK mobile provider will charge you the earth for no good reason.

LeeT
Employee
Employee

I can imagine that a local SIM would be cheaper, but never been to Turkey myself I wouldn't be sure. Keep in mind that you are able to purchase a Three Data Passport via the Three App if needed for the first day or so whilst you find that local SIM 🙂

Data Passport Link