cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rubbish 4g signal

Don23255
Fledgling

Please could someone help. In January I was told that the 3 signal was good in my area of North Norfolk. I need broadband in my static caravan where I spend most of my time so I opened a Home Broadband account but the signal was rubbish so I complained and was told there was unexpected maintenance being done on my mast and would be all fixed by 16th January. Unfortunately I wouldn’t be able to test this as my caravan site closes for 2 months every year on the 15th January so cancelled my account and told 3 that if the signal improved I would open an account again.

The camp has been open again for about a month and the signal is no better and if anything it’s worse so contacted 3 again and guess what…….they are doing unexpected maintenance on a mast in my area. I have tried streaming tv by using my iPhones personal hotspot but signal is so bad it doesn’t work.

I have a Tp-link mr500 connected to a Poynting xpol 0001 v2 antenna. How do I find out which mast 3 are working on so I can try the next best mast to point my antenna?

if EE were cheaper I would have no hesitation to leave 3 as I know from a friends phone he can get over 30mbps outside my caravan. Just outside my caravan I get 2 bars on my phone but nothing inside.

6 REPLIES 6
sc1999
Local celebrity

HI, attached is a link to OFCOM's coverage checker and you enter your postcode and then select your address. This gives a more accurate view of your coverage as 3 only covers the whole postcode.

Broadband and mobile coverage checker - Ofcom

Geluk
Key player

Whenever considering moving to another network, always wise to check the companies NETWORK COVERAGE off their website.

sc1999
Local celebrity

Check on OFCOM's coverage checker as well. Their coverage is by individual address not just a postcode area.

Anvil_Iron
Rising star

From the TP-Link device web-config or app, does it mention what the LAC/TAC and Cell ID the router is connecting to?

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Don23255,

I'm sorry I can't give much advice on equipment that Three doesn't supply like the TP link router, or your antenna. As @Anvil_Iron  says, you likely will be able to find Cell IDs from the router settings/admin pages. There may also be options to change what cell or network bands you connect to in there too.

I appreciate this has been going on for a long time now, I'll send you a private message to link you in with some colleagues that can look into the local coverage and masts further, and check if there's anything further we can do to support you.

To view your private messages on the community, click on your avatar image in the top right of any community page, then "Messages".

Thanks,
JonathanB

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

robertfm
Fledgling

I have been having this very same issue for nearly 2 years, same excuse 'maintenance on mast near by so extra pressure on mine 800 metres away. I use a Huawei 311 router the type supplied by Three so it's not a compatibility issue. In fact I put a 1p Mobile sim (EE) in the router and instantly got 30mbps. With Three I get about 7mbps on 3G and just 3mbps on 4G. I have complained numerous times latest last week. Each month I am given a date, this time 26th June for the fix, it comes and goes.

I have had enough and will switch to 1p mobile with there 200gb data & unlimited calls and text, no contract and £20/month. My Three is £22.99/month. I am sure Three will hold me to the last 2 months of contract. My advice ask someone who has Three near you on Social Media before contracting. The first year of my 2 year deal was excellent, now they are concentrating on 5G, Three have lost the plot.