cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to connect to Wi-Fi camera

MZone
Maestro

Hi,

I have a Wi-Fi indoor camera at home to keep an eye on the dog. For some reason it won’t allow me to connect to it using the app that comes with it to see the live video on my iPhone when using the 3 network. If I change to O2 or using Wi-Fi it connects straight away so appears the issue is with 3. Any ideas please. It’s not a coverage issue as was getting over 70mb download speed on 3 via 5G just now when I tested it. Any ideas please. 

Best solution
Best solution
JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @MZone,

I'll do my best to help. So just to check, the camera is on your home Wi-Fi network, and that's on another provider's Broadband?

Any error messages displaying on the App in question?
Are you testing the 02 connection from the same iPhone?

I'd also test whether the APN you use makes a difference this will either show in:

• Settings > Cellular > Cellular Data Network
    OR
  • Settings > Mobile Data > Mobile Data Options > Mobile Data Network

Try "three.co.uk" and "3internet" in the APN field to check if you get differing results. 3internet is intended for Broadband, but I've seen a couple of situations where it worked better for certain types of streaming on phones.

Thanks,
JonathanB

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

View solution in conversation

6 REPLIES 6
Best solution
JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @MZone,

I'll do my best to help. So just to check, the camera is on your home Wi-Fi network, and that's on another provider's Broadband?

Any error messages displaying on the App in question?
Are you testing the 02 connection from the same iPhone?

I'd also test whether the APN you use makes a difference this will either show in:

• Settings > Cellular > Cellular Data Network
    OR
  • Settings > Mobile Data > Mobile Data Options > Mobile Data Network

Try "three.co.uk" and "3internet" in the APN field to check if you get differing results. 3internet is intended for Broadband, but I've seen a couple of situations where it worked better for certain types of streaming on phones.

Thanks,
JonathanB

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

MZone
Maestro

Hi @JonathanB, Yes the camera is on my home Wi-Fi network which is with BT Internet.

There is no error message on the app it just won’t load the camera.

The O2 connection is on the same iPhone (dual SIM).

Changed the APN to 3internet and it worked.

Are there any positives/negatives keeping the APN as 3internet instead of three.co.uk 

Thanks

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hey @MZone,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you there. I'm not aware of any specific disadvantages to using 3internet on a phone. It's primarily the APN for Broadband rather than phone services, so possibly why it's solved this particular streaming issue for you. There's a couple of differences that are optimised for home networks and smart devices etc...

I think the main difference is that three.co.uk APN uses something called CGNAT which is an IP system where many users share IP addresses, which works great for browsing and general app use on a phone, but may interfere with some more advanced router settings.

If you happen to notice any issues as a result of this workaround please let me know, and perhaps if you can let me know the particular manufacturer and model for the camera, I can feed this back in case there's some way to resolve the underlying issue?

JonathanB

dc52ltr
Regular

A lot of these cameras won't connect unless they're using 2.4ghz...might be that? 

Lppoer
Fledgling

I have same issue but even if i put 3internet can’t get online just on WiFi connection or if i use different data mobile form three network 

PeteG
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hello.

Can you confirm which products you are using and at which point it's not working? 

Pete.