cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to use hotspot while roaming in Canada

3user01
Fledgling

I bought 7-day data passport to roam my phone in Canada.

It roamed ok but I'm unable tether my other phone to it. This is so unfortunate after paying £7 a day for 7 days (£42) and then unable to utilise it.

Can anyone help pls?

Best solution
Best solution
MZone
Maestro

Just found this:

• You can't use your phone as a Personal Hotspot in our Go Roam Around the World or Go Roam Around the World Extra destinations.
  • You'll be able to stream, and connect to Virtual Private Networks (VPNs), while in a Go Roam destination, but both of these may be slower than they are in the UK.
  • You can get a Data Passport with unlimited data for £5. Once activated, enjoy unlimited data for 24 hours. And you can use it as you like – from tethering and streaming to connecting to VPNs. Find out more about Data Passports.

So basically you need to purchase a Data Passport to enable tethering as Canada comes under the Go Roam Around the World destination. 

View solution in conversation

4 REPLIES 4
MZone
Maestro

Are you able to use data normally on your phone? Have you reached the 12GB fair use limit?

3user01
Fledgling

Many thanks for responding. Yes I've been using data normally on my phone. No I've only just used about 3GB of data so far.

Best solution
MZone
Maestro

Just found this:

• You can't use your phone as a Personal Hotspot in our Go Roam Around the World or Go Roam Around the World Extra destinations.
  • You'll be able to stream, and connect to Virtual Private Networks (VPNs), while in a Go Roam destination, but both of these may be slower than they are in the UK.
  • You can get a Data Passport with unlimited data for £5. Once activated, enjoy unlimited data for 24 hours. And you can use it as you like – from tethering and streaming to connecting to VPNs. Find out more about Data Passports.

So basically you need to purchase a Data Passport to enable tethering as Canada comes under the Go Roam Around the World destination. 

PeteG
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

That's a nice find, MZone. Thanks.

Pete. 

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.