Our new roaming giveaway is live find out more here!
Give us your feedback about how easy you've found getting ready to roam on the above linked article, and you'll be in with the chance to win one of 10, 7 day Go Roam passes to use in Europe and Around the World destinations. Prize draw open till 01 May 2024
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Used to have the free 200M data sim but it stopped without notification?

pwalk
Active

For the last couple of years, I've had an active free 200MB monthly data sim.
Recently after the online account and app has been updated, I couldn't see my allowance or refresh date. The SIM continued working fine (data and incoming calls as well).

I chatted to support and the agent appeared a bit clueless and claiming this has stopped. I didn't see how this could have been stopped since it was working fine and I haven't heard anything about it from Three. When I confirmed that I can still use data on it (while roaming as well, as it used to), the agent's reply was basically "that's great".

After coming off the chat, it has suddenly stopped.
Now, I understand that the service might have stopped and it was a free service, but to cut it off just like that, without notification and after chatting to support who didn't appear to know abut it, is strange to say the least. For all purposes, this was a normal working SIM from Three, albeit for data only. I'm sure something's wrong here?

157 REPLIES 157
ChrisAO
Active

Nice one. Shame Three haven't managed to communicate that to its customers that had the 200MB pm. Even bigger shame that none of @JohnM @JohnD @PeteG and @SuziM  or @JonathanB have managed to obtain the information and post it here in the thread. It's pretty obvious (well it was a while ago anyway) that communication between "Three" and its staff is abysmal.

pwalk
Active

That's some great news if indeed true, but I'll believe it when I see official communication from Three.

shawny
Regular

That's embarrassing !

Even the complaints live chat agents have no clue 

My complaint case file now has a bereavement note added by the agent - why ? I did not mention any bereavement..... I've now an accepted case with the ombudsman, regarding the lack of notice to change of tariff and secondly being told I'm still on the 321 tariff costs.

mattc
Regular

Adding my annoyance to this thread. I was baffled as to how both my kids were using all their top-up credit when they just use it for the occasional text & call, plus where did all their data go... then I discovered this thread.

This is an extremely frustrating and appalling customer experience from Three.

There were no comms at all from Three on this change to the 'lifetime' 200Mb.

It ended up with my kids not being able to make calls or send txt when they were on a school trip due to it rapidly going through their credit from data usage which we weren't expecting. It's taken quite a lot of digging to discover they've removed this 200Mb data allowance; it's totally unacceptable behaviour by Three.

So now we're many months down the line from this change, what alternatives have you found? Or is there still some hope that Three will reinstate this for existing customers?

Njm1967
Fledgling

It's now been nearly 4 months since the convert operation was deployed by Three and they have remained tight lipped about it all. It's unlikely at this point we see a reinstatement of 321 200mb. So I looked into the best alternative for low usage users. Welsh company RWG with £1 per loaded SIM 1p mb 5p text 5p min on EE network.

mattc
Regular

Thanks for the heads up on RWG 👍 Their £2/mo plan looks pretty good for my kids; MINS: 100, SMS: 100, DATA: 750MB.

ChrisAO
Active

RWG have had a few mentions in this thread, and elsewhere. They change some of the offers periodically. Like any network, check you have a good signal before committing.

Ex3
Fledgling

Used to be a good company! Now probably one of the worst! Go to Lebara.