cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When connected to 4G cannot use the internet or refresh apps - iPhone 13

Shedwood
Fledgling

On my IPhone 13 when I am connected to 3G or 5G everything works fine including using cellular network to access the internet, browse Facebook, Instagram etc & play apps that require an internet connection. When my signal is 4G, I can make phone calls & text but anything thing else will not load - it eventually times out or am I able to refresh any apps. 

This started about 3 months ago & is now very frustrating. I have tried all the things that 3 suggest but no joy.

so far I have:-

aiplane mode off & on

mobile data off & on

Iphone off & on

reset network settings

reset iphone

selected 5G auto, 5G on & 4G

iphone is up to date with the latest software

contacted Apple who said it is a network issue with 3

contacted 3 who said my device is not compatible with their network which caused me to question why they sold it to me in the first place & I am paying close to £100 month for something they say is not compatible with their network….

I have been a customer of 3 for years & have never encountered anything like this unless there is a fault with the network in my area, & like I said this started 3 months ago.

anyone encountering the same or have any ideas as I am getting increasingly frustrating as in my area my phone is predominantly connected to 4G due to limited coverage of 5G.

12 REPLIES 12
JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Shedwood,

This sounds really frustrating. I'll do my best to help

I can confirm the iPhone 13 is definitely compatible with our 4G network. I'm not aware of any other reports of this behaviour with that model on 4G either. Here's a few ideas and questions that might help narrow down the root cause of the issue:

Is anyone else at home, or that you know locally using Three? Are they having similar issues?
Are you able to test your SIM in any other phone to see if the same issues occur?
Does our Network Status Checker say that we're aware of issues in locations where you've been having these issues?

Let me know the answers on the above and that might help us figure out the best next steps.

Thanks,
JonathanB

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

Shedwood
Fledgling

I have tried it in an iPhone 11 & the same issue is happening.

network status checker says everything is fine & when I phoned 3 the support person also confirmed this - that is when they said my phone isn’t compatible. I have been with 3 since the iPhone 6 & have always had iPhones & have never had this issue until just over 3 months ago & is still an issue. If it can’t be sorted I will not be renewing my contract in September as paying nearly £100 a month for unlimited everything & not being able to connect on a 4G signal data wise is extremely poor & frustrating

JohnD
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hey @Shedwood 

Completely understand the frustration here. It's really unusual to be fair! I've sent you a PM to get you in touch with some colleagues that can help.

Thanks,

John D

Shaunl253
Regular

I have also seen similar things with my iPhone 14, it is only in certain locations I see this, these locations seem to only give me 2 bars or below of signal strength. If I connect to 3G or 5G everything is fine, the problem is my phone sees a 4G signal so it won't revert back to 3G.

I thought I would check on here before contacting support to raise this issue, I feel like it's just a weak/non-existent signal but the phone still detecting it.

Has anything been discovered as to what caused the issue?

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hey @Shaunl253,

It could be weak 4G signal or congestion you're seeing based on what you've described. Are these locations that you have or can find postcodes for? I'd suggest popping them into our Network Status Checker to see if it's places that we're aware of any issues.

Thanks,
Jonathan

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

Shaunl253
Regular

Hi Jonathan,

Yes I have checked the status checker and all is fine (nearest postcode).

Thanks

Shaun

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hey Shaun,

Thanks for getting back to me. I reckon we're looking at coverage issues considering the weak signal, but if you can test any other phone or Three SIM in that location, or check if the speed issue persists even when in stronger 4G signal, that may help build more evidence of a phone/software problem.

Speaking of software, is iOS fully updated?

Thanks,
Jonathan

Shaunl253
Regular

Hi Jonathan,

Yes IOS is up to date, I even checked for carrier updates.

I will test with an iPhone 12 later this week with speed tests and report back.

Thank you

Shaun

Shaunl253
Regular

Hi Jonathan,

Both my iPhone 14 (eSIM) and partners iPhone 12 (micro SIM) behaved the same in these locations. 
To begin with we had 1 bar of 4G which then flipped to 5G, speed test just kept spinning around on connecting and after 2 mins I closed the app and tried again, unfortunately with the same result. 
It seems to be a weak signal, although coverage checker says all is good, I can’t be certain how far the issue spreads but it is definitely the length of the road that I travel along (maps say 0.5miles). If there any reason we can connect to 3G manually? Other networks still have it as an option in settings, I understand you are phasing it out but in situations like this it would be helpful.
Today 4G was working ok in the areas approaching this problem site, not always the case though. 

Thanks

Shaun

IMG_2084.png