cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will my old SIM card use 5G? After upgrade.

Bish_Bishop
Fledgling

After the upgrade, will it matter that I have an old SIM card -- from the time 5G was not yet heard of? I would like to benefit from 5G, but keep my old number at the same time. Can I just swap SIM cards and use 5G, or have to use a new one, which comes with a new number, I believe?

Best solution
Best solution
PeteG
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hey there, Bishop.

You can keep using the older SIM. The SIM will not limit the services you can use. 

Generally I recommend using the latest SIM you are sent though. You mentioned however that you believe the new SIM has a new number, this is not normal. When upgrading, the new SIM should pull the original number over to it automatically. 

Can you check to see how many SIM cards you received with the upgrade? If it's just one, can you check the packaging to see if that's perhaps a Pay As You Go SIM? You can tell because it will usually mention topping up.

Pete.

View solution in conversation

1 REPLY 1
Best solution
PeteG
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hey there, Bishop.

You can keep using the older SIM. The SIM will not limit the services you can use. 

Generally I recommend using the latest SIM you are sent though. You mentioned however that you believe the new SIM has a new number, this is not normal. When upgrading, the new SIM should pull the original number over to it automatically. 

Can you check to see how many SIM cards you received with the upgrade? If it's just one, can you check the packaging to see if that's perhaps a Pay As You Go SIM? You can tell because it will usually mention topping up.

Pete.