cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhones fail to auto-join THREE_WIFI on London Underground despite being configured to do so

NFH
Active

Since May 2022, it is no longer possible for Three customers to use the "Virgin Media WiFi" SSID in London Underground stations, as they must now connect instead using the new "THREE_WIFI" SSID. Three provides a wifi profile on SIMs containing the credentials for iPhones to connect to the new "THREE_WIFI" SSID.

https://www.three.co.uk/support/device-support/free-wifi-on-london-underground instructs iPhone users "Switch on your device and connect automatically". However, despite this clear confirmation that the device should connect automatically, as well as the THREE_WIFI profile being configured by Three to "Auto-join" and this wifi network being configured in wifi settings to "Auto-Join", iPhones fail to automatically join this wifi network. The impact is that:

1. Whenever an iPhone becomes briefly disconnected from THREE_WIFI for any reason, it fails to reconnect automatically and remains disconnected.
  2. If a Three customer is on a train, then each time the train comes into a Tube station, the iPhone fails to reconnect automatically to THREE_WIFI, causing a loss of connectivity.
  3. If a Three customer walks around a Tube station, then the iPhone can become disconnected from THREE_WIFI if there is a failed handover between access points, following which the iPhone fails to reconnect automatically to THREE_WIFI, causing a loss of connectivity.

This is a defect, which did not occur on the previous "Virgin Media WiFi" SSID.  The defect is either with the configuration of the THREE_WIFI network or with the THREE_WIFI profile on the SIM, which contains the credentials for this wifi network. Given that the defect does not occur at one station, Waterloo, it suggests that the cause is the former rather than the latter. It is notable that the wifi at Waterloo has always behaved slightly differently from other stations also with the previous "Virgin Media WiFi" SSID. The defect affects all Three customers using iPhones, not only me.

I have reported this to Three customer services, but the responses that I received demonstrate insufficient technical knowledge by customer services to understand or resolve the issue, and there is also a significant language barrier. Please could the Three community team escalate this and obtain an estimated time for it to be fixed?

IMG_0478.PNGIMG_0479.PNG

15 REPLIES 15
Seanbe
Fledgling

Hi, hadn’t checked back on this forum, will do so now for the next few days in hope of a fix. Still won’t auto connect. iPhone 14 Plus, most recent software update. It’s been years since it’s worked properly. 

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Seanbe,

We found a fix to an iOS issue with the Underground Wi-Fi network quite recently: Wifi on London Underground asking for password 

Slightly different issue, in that these users were being asked for a username/password, instead of it automatically logging in, but I wonder if resetting your network settings will help for this too?

Settings > General > Transfer or Reset [Device] > Reset > Reset Network Settings.

Thanks,
Jonathan

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

NFH
Active

@JonathanBResetting network settings is quite a drastic step. It deletes a large amount of the user's data, specifically all wifi passwords. Therefore unless it is a known solution to a problem, it is not a step to try just on the off-chance that it might work.

Seanbe
Fledgling

That’s something I’d tried before but can’t hurt to do it again I guess! Will update when I’m next underground and reply either way. 

Seanbe
Fledgling

That’s something I’d tried before but can hurt to try again I suppose! Will let you know if it works. 

NFH
Active

I am still receiving calls about this issue from Three's 2nd line support. I told them that the issue appeared to be fixed at North Greenwich at the weekend, but I couldn't confirm whether it now works at other stations. When he noted this, he didn't know how to spell an internationally well-known place like Greenwich. Furthermore during previous calls, Three customer services repeatedly indicated that the "Elizabeth Line" is the name of a specific station, and didn't understand that it's an entire train line. Three UK, please can you employ people who have an understanding of basic geography of the United Kingdom?

There's also a significant language barrier, because Three's call centre staff very often don't understand basic questions. For example, I asked him whether Three had made a change to fix this issue, and he replied "yes". When his subsequent statements contradicted this answer, I challenged him. It appeared that he hadn't understood my simple question and instead replied "yes", probably to avoid admitting that he didn't understand simple English.