cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

temp cheap smartphone - wifi calling just won't work!

MrRJNNN
Fledgling

Normally use an iPhone 13 on 3 contract, having to use a cheap new smartphone for a few weeks - an IMO Q4 (unlocked). Transferred the SIM card today and set the phone up.

I live in a rural area with poor signal and need the wifi calling - router is OK, phone handset is set up correctly (and wifi calling is turned on) but calls/texts will not connect with wifi at all. In fact the handset tells me to 'connect to a wifi network' - which I absolutely am as I can use Google, Chrome browser etc., as normal through wifi.

I use this number for work calls and really need the wifi-enabled calling and SMS service.

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I confess I’ve never heard of this particular brand of phone (which means nothing lol) so I’ve looked on at the user manual and there is no mention of Volte or WiFi calling being supported. I stress that I may be wrong on this but as far as I can see you can connect to WiFi but WiFi calling isn’t mentioned. Happy to be proved wrong.🤷‍♂️

MrRJNNN
Fledgling

Thanks for replying  - the phone menu itself has wifi calling options, so it should be supported! Just confirmed with 3 that wifi calling is enabled on all their SIMs.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok well all I can suggest is that you reset network settings and try that. 
I wish you good luck as I too live in a very rural area and depend on WiFi calling.

PeteG
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hello.

Welcome to the Three Community. 

I can confirm that all of the SIMs have the ability to allow WiFi calling on them. If the device has the option for WiFi calling, then generally it should work. 

If the device allows additional WiFi calling options, such as Prefer WiFi calling, or Prefer Network, please choose the Prefer Network/Network Preferred option. 

The only other thing I can think of going a little further back, and I'm not sure if this is still the case on phones today, but further back, some phones would have issues using features like WiFi calling or VoLTE if that phone was originally purchased from another network provider. This was because the provider had their own carrier software installed and it sometimes created issues with the configuration on other networks. I'm not sure if this applies to your phone or not. 

It might be worth speaking to the manufacturer to get further advice in case there is a solution they can recommend if you're still having issues. 

Pete.