cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

why is three going to block older 4G devices

lukefowler2023
Fledgling

4g.JPG

it seems like three is going to block my older 4G device when 3G is turned off, why would three do this. i expect three to provide me with a new device free of charge if they are going to block my 4G device

11 REPLIES 11
sc1999
Local celebrity

We've had this before with the 3 apps. Google stop supporting old versions of android so old phones no longer get security updates. This is why old 4g phones cannot install current versions of apps. This may also be a reason why 3 will not support old phones. Without seeing your posted image it may be that your brand of phone is not supported. O2 are going to be the last to turn off 3g sometime next year.

I am sorry to say that a phone has a shelf life and then end up on eBay, which is where my old Samsung will end it's life on Sunday.

If you have accessibility issues call the accessibility team as they may be able to help. Search fo 3 accessibility.

lukefowler2023
Fledgling

im not sure why you cant see the image

sc1999
Local celebrity

What is you device and firmware version?

lukefowler2023
Fledgling

it is a motorola device i think from 2016 and it has android 6

sc1999
Local celebrity

Android 6 is no longer supported. It was dropped in 2022 because it reached End Of Life from Google. Once that happens, people stop providing updates. Technology moves forwards, for better or worse, and there comes a point where companies will not support products because of the cost. Companies want to drop 3g because the technology costs too much to support and I don't want my bills going up because a company needs me to subsidise old technologies, sorry.

Steve-b
Regular

Modern phones can make and receive calls over a 4G connection - the feature is called VoLTE (Voice over LTE, which is another name for 4G). Some older 4G phones only use 4G for data, and drop to 3G for calls and SMS. If you are in an area where 3G has been switched off then these older 4G phones will still be able to browse the web (using 4G), but when you try to make a call the phone will switch to 3G, find no signal and the call wiill fail.

I've just been through this loop. My old 4G phone didn't do VoLTE, and I had to spend some time in an area where the 3G signal has already gone -  so I could not make calls nor use SMS unless I moved to an area where 3G was still active. This is only going to get worse as 3G is wound down, so I bit the bullet and got a new phone.

Before buying a new phone, it is worth having a good look through the settings on your existing phone to make sure VoLTE isn't turned off - if it is, switch it on and you should be OK. If the setting isn't there and your phone is a few years old, then it probably isn't capable of VoLTE - time for a more modern phone.

lukefowler2023
Fledgling

i would be fine with calls failing, i never call or text anyone, i just use data. but the 3g switch off information says 4G devices like mine will be blocked

Steve-b
Regular

Ah - I see why you are concerned, then; and I don't know why data over 4G would stop working on a phone when 3G is switched off, but would still work on a tablet. Nor do I know whether that's only happening on Three, or applies to all networks. I'm afraid you need someone with more technical knowledge than I have. 

lukefowler2023
Fledgling

if three are going to block my phone they will have to provide me with another one free of charge or i will switch to another network, or i will get the IMEI of my phone changed so three thinks it is a new phone