cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi Calling Enabled - Works Intermittently?

gtd2000
Fledgling

During the past month or so I've noticed an increasing amount of problems with WiFi calling.

I'm just off the phone with the 3 Network folks in India, during the call I was experiencing very regular audo dropouts lasting several seconds. The call does not drop but remains connected, I have full 5 bar signal to my router.

Lots of friends are telling me that they could not get through to my phone, hear phone is currently not available messages or in one case had the sound of a fax machine when calling my number.

Yesterday, I had a call from a friend at work, he complained that the call quality was terrible and it sounded like I was miles away from the phone. I have a dual SIM phone, so called him back on the EE network and he said the difference in call quality was like night and day.

The 3 Network folks seem to think that my own (Vodafone) broadband connection is to blame but I do not have any issues with any type of connection, for anything, other than 3 Wifi calling.

It's true that the local 3 mobile phone tower signal is poor in my area (TD1) but I would have assumed that the 3 WiFi calling should mitigate that, as it did in the past? 

Any ideas why the service is now unreliable? I see others have been fobbed off with the internet provider excuse.

Thanks in advance

3 REPLIES 3
sc1999
Local celebrity

I'm not sure how wifi calling works but it does not kick in on my phone until I am on 1 bar and it applies to both 3 and Vodafone.  I have both sims in my phone. There does not appear to be a setting to default to wifi calling.

PeteG
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi, gtd2000.

Welcome to the Three Community. 

Oh, that's a strange one. I'm not sure why the performance of WiFi calling would decrease over time. Is it possible the calls were not being handed over to the WiFi network as expected and instead were placed on the mobile network? Since you've said signal can be poor there, that would make sense. 

One other way you could test it in order to be sure is to place the phone into airplane mode, then turn WiFi back on while airplane mode is still active. This will force the phone to have to use the WiFi network for calling since it won't be able to use the mobile network at all. Then you could do some test calling to see if that makes any difference. 

Pete. 

KD
Fledgling

I’m sort of glad to know I am not alone. I have no mobile signal at home and went with Three as they offered Wi-Fi calling as a part of standard package. My phone is Wi-Fi enabled, showing on, but in the last month, I have struggled to send / receive calls at home, even when virtually sitting on top of the router to ensure a strong signal. Sounds this is an issue that Three are not owning up to