cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fraudulent Account set up in my name and no one is willing to help

Lauren27
Fledgling

I honestly don't know where to turn and I am really struggling mentally now.

I had reported to Three back in March 2023 that I received a letter about a new direct debit account being set up in my name and address, which was a shock to me given the fact that I already have an account with Three with my actual number? Turns out a new contact had been set up without my consent against bank details that are not mine??? How this doesn't get checked with the bank is beyond me and frankly feels like a data breach?

I have reported this 3 TIMES since March, each agent saying "we'll raise this now and you'll hear back in 14 days". 3 months go by and no call/text/email nothing. I did everything I was told once I suspected fraud - contact Action against Fraud - Told my credit files what had happened - reported it to Three. I can't tell you how many cases I have raised with the credit filers to just get the same message back saying "they have no knowledge of you reporting this as fraud". I feel like I'm going in circles with no way out.The other phone contracts that have been set up in my name from other companies have successfully been closed with no struggle whatsoever.

What's even worse is that an agent I spoke to on the chat system advised the account had been closed last month -  great news! Until I got a debt collection letter today advising payment was outstanding with Three, and you guessed it, for the account I did not set up! I called Three again today for them to just turn around and say "we'll raise this now and you'll hear back in 14 days". The lady was lovely, but couldn't confirm to me what happened to the last 3 requests for this account to be closed... and also couldn't explain why the agent on the chat system lied to me, I'm just really glad I took screenshots. I asked for a complaint months ago which still hasn't been honored.

I honestly don't know where to turn now, this company has let me and I'm sure hundreds of people down in the same situation. I do have a genuine account with Three which I will be closing as soon as my contract finishes, and if I'm not going to hear back from them for the 4TH TIME I will be going to the financial Ombudsmen or to go get some legal advice since this is now holding me back from applying for a mortgage and not the mention the impact this has had on my mental health. 

Please, I am begging if anyone knows anyone on this forum that can help or escalate this further I would be really grateful, I just don't trust anyone I speak to anymore given the fact that several agents have lied about the situation of this fraudulent account.

9 REPLIES 9
JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Lauren27,

I'm really sorry to read of this fraud, and all the trouble you've had with trying to get help to sort this out. It's not the experience we want anyone to have. We can't access fraud investigations over the community platform, but I'll send you a PM to get you in touch with some colleagues that will look into this for you and make sure it's sorted out.

To view your private messages on the community, click on your avatar image in the top right of any community page, then "Messages".

Thanks,
JonathanB

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

Kalz87
Fledgling

PLEASE HELP!!!

I have also been a victim of fraud. I have recieved 2 letters with 2 different account numbers from three confirming direct debit set up. These letters have my name and address but the bank account numbers and sort codes I do not recognise. How can I contact the fraud and protection team to investigate???

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Kalz87,

I'm sorry to hear about this. You wouldn't directly contact the Customer Protection Team, but customer services will initially raise the investigation for you. Have you been in touch with the team, if so what have they advised?

Thanks,
Jonathan

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

Kalz87
Fledgling

I have pm'd you Jonathanb

Anoop
Fledgling

This exact same thing has happened to me I flagged a fraud case for an account opened under my name and nothing has happened and now a debt collection crs letter has been sent to my house dealing with this every day and contacting three and reporting fraud through the digital chat has been so mentally exhausting my parents are advising me to seek legal help but I wanted to try posting on community before 

Anoop
Fledgling

IMG_0667.jpeg

I took a picture of my most recent interaction with the fraud team so I had prof of contact even though this is one of the 7 times I have raised a fraud case they said again they will contact me within 14 days and never did for the 7th time 

Grjute
Fledgling

Hi @Lauren27 , I have the same issue. my phone was stolen and my 3g number was used for subscriptions through three pay ive been charged almost a £100 for 2 months now. They do not help, I dont know hw to stop this. Did you get your case sorted?

Thanks,

Greta

Anoop
Fledgling

Honestly they don’t care they have all there customer resolution and support team abroad in my opinion you should just gather all the evidence you can and file a court case 

clairee
Fledgling

This is also currently happening to me. It's an absolute nightmare